How to identify my front brake components?

HI All

Been lurking for a while but now it is time to come forward and ask a question.

I have a 1964 TR4 which I drive regularly :D . The only really annoying thing about it is that the front disks squeal extremely loudly after I have been driving for a while. I have been thinking for a while that I would like to upgrade the front disks and also possibly getting the "green stuff" pads in the hope that this may stop the squealing but also improve the stopping power.

My TR is a late model so I am assuming that I have 10-13/16 inch disks but what I am unsure of is the type of callipers I have and how to identify them. I think I am correct in assuming that the only calliper types I could have are 16P, 16PB or M16P but I believe that the 16P and 16PB use different pads to the M16P. How do I tell the difference so that I don't purchase the wrong pads.

Thanks for help.

Main effect of 'green stuff' is on your bank balance.

Also a very good idea to skim your discs if they are

ridged - or even buy new ones - they are relatively

inexpensive.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Agree with Alan on "green stuff" as useless expense. I would suggest Mintex. Always happy with it.

Then, first things first: do you have the full equipment correctly installed? I mean the anti-squeal plates behind the pads, present and in right orientation.

Badfrog

In my experience Green Stuff pads squealed even worse than standard ones. They went in the bin.

I don't know if this helps but the parts book for my 4A says the calipers are 16P.

Have you checked that you have the anti-squeal shims in place. Also a smear of Copaslip on the back of the pads can help.

Edit: Beaten to the draw by BF.

Edited by peejay4A

GBP 114 pads or equivalent, and yes Mintex work as well as anything, whereas Green Stuff I'd aim straight at the recycling skip . . . . saves the bother of first fitting and then replacing them.

Later pads are GBP 216 or equivalent.

In old Lockheed numbers, that is LP32 early and LP154 late.

The locating pins are 1/4" on the earlier calipers, but only 3/16" on the later - that's an easy check. Later pads can always be drilled out to 1/4" . . . .

Cheers

Alec

In some 50 years of driving TRs, I have never found nor have I fitted 'anti-squeal' pads behind my disc pads - in fact, I've never even seen an anti-squeal pad!

Ian Cornish