Clutch slave piston pushed out of cylinder...

Hi All,

Yesterday was a brilliant day that ended not so great... took part in a very nice classic car event with a great tour in the north east of The Netherlands for about 125 miles. Sometimes during this trip I had a problem that the clutch did not release enough to be able to change gears... but a second press on the pedal took care of that. But on the last 15 miles on my way home all pedal pressure was gone and after stopping the car I discovered it had left a nice trail of clutch fluid on the street. The piston of the slave cylinder had been pushed out... not so nice of course.

Is this a classic case of a broken clutch fork pin or could it be something else?

Next week I will take out the gearbox to fix the problem. Is that a good time to replace other components just to be sure, and if so... what should I definitely replace?

All comments are more than welcome.

Cheers,
Edwin

Does sound like the taper pin has broken allowing the lever on the crosshaft to

go to the rear of the car

See this recent thread

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/40534-bodged-up-croshaft-fork/&do=findComment&comment=312401

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/40885-tr6-oil-seal-and-clutch/

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Edwin

I have had this problem the clutch had burnt out,

this was the result of reversing for about 2 miles up a hill, due to the sat nav taking me to the bottom of the hill when I got to the bottom The road was blocked

It was only a small track so I had to slip the clutch and pick the revs up to get to the top of the hill

Next thing I new oil was every were

Stuart did a tempory repair, got me home

Pink

Hi Edwin

I have had this problem the clutch had burnt out,

this was the result of reversing for about 2 miles up a hill, due to the sat nav taking me to the bottom of the hill when I got to the bottom The road was blocked

It was only a small track so I had to slip the clutch and pick the revs up to get to the top of the hill

Next thing I new oil was every were

Stuart did a tempory repair, got me home

Pink

And here he is on that occasion, ...A not very happy Pink.

DSC04584.jpg

Cheers

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

FWIW The get you home repair if this happens is to move the slave cylinder to the rear of the mounting bracket and then use the top hole in the clutch arm and fill with fluid and re-bleed. It will make the pedal very stiff and you will only have clearance with the pedal just off the floor but in Pinks case it enabled him to get to Malvern and home (around 250 miles from where we were.) with a clutch plate about the thickness of an ice cream wafer! :wacko:

If its a pin break then the actuating arm moves back a bit and then jams on the remnants of the pin so it still allows a bit of operation.

Stuart.

Thanks guys for the info... and yes Stuart, that might just be necessary because the car is parked at a friends house at the moment. Getting it home as soon as possible would be very nice because the next trip is already planned Saturday the 18th... another classic car tour...

Thanks,

Edwin

Edwin that is only a "get you home" solution but it does work ;)

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.... the 'get you home' solution did not work... so yesterday I finally got the TR6 back at my home with the help of a car trailer...

Took out the gearbox today (in little more than 2 hours) and found out that indeed the pin was broken but look at what happened to the fork :blink: no wonder Stuarts solution didn't work...

Fork_01.JPG

So I'll be ordering some new parts tomorrow. Also took off the pressure plate and clutch disc. Here are some pictures of the pressure plate. Can someone tell me if this is an original borg & beck plate or something else and should I keep this?...

Plate_01.JPG

Plate_04.JPG

I also measured the thickness of the clutch disc... it's 0,277".... is that still thick enough ???

As always: all comments more than welcome...

Edwin