Gearbox problem

Hi,

I've got clanky and squaky noise from TR6 gearbox when gear is engaged... so looks that I need take it out to get fixed. Is it possible to take the gearbox out without lifting the whole engine up?

All advices are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Tommi

Certainly it is possible to remove the gearbox and leave the engine in place.

Obviously you must support the rear of the engine. I use both a jack from underneath and a hoist from above just to be sure.

The gearbox is heavy and if you have overdrive is on the limit of lifting for one average man. I can just do it.

You must remove the seats, H-frame, tunnel. This is tedious but ordinary work.

Take care that the gear-box is not left "hanging" on the shaft that goes into the clutch.

If you bend this shaft you will be very sorry.

Removing is not so hard but replacing is harder because it is difficult to line up the shaft and slide it into the clutch.

For these reasons I built a trolley from wood that allows the gearbox to be positioned exactly as needed and means that you never have to hold it in place. If you want to do this I can send you a sketch/picture. It is easy and cheap to make this thing.

Are you going to dismantle the gear-box and rebuild it yourself. This is possible. But you will need to be a good mechanic.

Did this same job single handed. Best advice is to take it slow with plenty of tea breaks particularly when mating the box to the engine.

Cheers

Tim

Hi,

How to acces the upper bolts of gearbox casing?

Alan, a sketch of the wooden trolley would be nice. I'm not that level of a mechanic that I could repair a gearbox, however I do have a friend who can fix it if I can just get it out from the car.

Br,

Tommi

Tommi, you access the upper fixings from inside the car and the lower from underneath. The gearbox comes out through the cabin and does not drop out from under. That is why Tim said you need to strip out the interior.

It comes out most easily through the passenger door. So make sure that you park so that you can get the door completely open.

You need to remove the rear rubber-mounting so that the gbox can be pulled towards the back. This exhaust pipe is fixed to this and can be hard to get undone.

Will send you the sketch via the personal message system.

Do you have an overdrive?

Hi Tommi,

all the above info is good.

Make sure when refitting the gearbox that the clutch plate is very well aligned otherwise the splines/spiggot on the input shaft will not engage.

Getting the gearbox to mate with the engine block is the hardest part. Sometimes it pops straight in and sometimes can take many tedious hours.

If it was me I would seriously consider removing the engine and gearbox complete. The major component is the bonnet, but this is no heartache unlike aligning the gearbox.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi,

Thanks for all advises. Roger's suggestion to take the engine and gbox out in one go is indeed tempting, however it means an overhaul to the engine as well once its out... and once the engine is out we are not far from full body off restoration. This is the usual story of starting to change spark plugs and ending up something totally bigger... :) Haven't really planned for it.

Alan, my car is PI RHD -74 with J type overdrive.

Cheers,

Tommi

To get the engine and gearbox out as one you need proper lifting equipment and either have to work outside or have a garage with a high enough roof.

You also have to remove and refit the bonnet.

You will find that with my trolley, gbox out one its own, is a one-man job with no real risks.

Edited by AlanT