Have always used the NAPA (Wix) 1374, but it's smooth body doesn't take kindly to the filter wrench. Someone, in a previous dicussion, suggested Fram 2951 but I'm not sure if that filter fits the Purolator spin-on adapter. If it does, it cross references to the K&N HP 1003. With a nut welded to the bottom, it would make changing a lot easier.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Bob Brennan

S. Freeport, ME

TS 24528 L

Have always used the NAPA (Wix) 1374, but it's smooth body doesn't take kindly to the filter wrench. Someone, in a previous dicussion, suggested Fram 2951 but I'm not sure if that filter fits the Purolator spin-on adapter. If it does, it cross references to the K&N HP 1003. With a nut welded to the bottom, it would make changing a lot easier.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Bob Brennan

S. Freeport, ME

TS 24528 L

Bob, I use the NAPA brand filters in my TR6 and just fitted a spin on adapter to the TR3 engine that I am building (using a NAPA Gold 1516 filter. NAPA sells the correct tool (for use with a 1/2 inch socket wrench) that fits these filters.

Stan

Hi Bob

I have used a Champion C106,a Bosch 2056, and Fram PH966B (could be an 8 at the back) on my 3A with no trouble. I use the leather belt type clamp ( like the one your wife uses to undo Ball Jars or even jam or pickled onions that have seized on) it´s a universal size upto about 6¨dia down to less that 1¨and it never fails even on completely smooth,round filter bodies. Spanners are too complicated for that job, you never seam able to get them in.

Dave

Thanks for your replies. Assuming that Dave and Ashley have the same Purolator spin-on adapter as TS24528's, it is interesting that they both run the same Fram 966B. Is this a popular choice with TR oil changers? That filter, btw, cross references to K&N HP 1002. I can see how Fram's flutes would make it easier to get on and off, but I'm not sold on Fram's quality.

Another question for fellow oil changers:

Anyone have experience with Shell Rotella T (15W40)? This is dino based designed for diesel engines. I've used 20W50 Valvoline VR1 in the past, but a friend is making a strong case to go with a lighter oil.

Bob

Ordered 3 of these from Amazon today:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=hp-1002

Is anyone else using these? Fortunately they fit my Toyota truck also.

Love the idea of a 10W40 semi-synthetic, but will have to graduate from a 15W40 straight dino first.

Giving it a try, Stuart.

Bob