Just like Mine sounded then the noise got Horrendous,stripping mine Sunday and will let ye know.

Well Stripped mine Today and the Result is Number 6 Inlet Valve Guide had come loose :o broke about 20mm of the Botton of Guide,found a few small fragments sitting on top of Piston but most must of got blown out of Exhaust Valve,small Damage to Crown of Piston but Bores all fine,New Guide,New Valve and Head Gasket and good to go again.

Took plenty of Pics so will try and get them Posted

:lol::lol::lol: Only just seen your :( And?

Me Happy :) .

Edited by TR NIALL

, im also using ValveMasterPlus the reason behind that is to Cool Volitile Fuel,more Harm than Good maybe.

Yep never use the stuff after being told unleaded Mu and head not required many years ago

Hi Tony,sorry for Piggybacking your Thread but the 2 Problems seem the same.

Any Result from your Problem yet.

No need to apologise and I'm pleased that your problem has been identified so quickly.

I've removed the head but haven't seen anything awry at this stage, which doesn't bode so well.

Currently I'm debating with myself whether to drop the sump and look at bottom ends from there or if it would be better just to bite the bullet, get the engine out and strip it completely. To be frank I don't really want to that but neither do I want to be here again in a couple of months. On top of that, took the Alvis to a local car club run yesterday morning only to have the top hose start to spray under the bonnet. No great shakes other than the time taken to source a replacement, which I think that I've just managed to achieve.

I'll let you know what I find once I decide what to do!

Cheers,

Tony (in full prevarication mode)

One thing that I noticed this afternoon was that No. 1 piston was not concentric in the bore with less clearance on the front of the engine. The others were noticably better aligned. Noi bore damage or marking.

Significant or coincidence? I'm not sure.

Hi Niall, assuming the valve stem had not partially ceased in the guide which is unlikely after 14 years use then maybe it would be prudent to replace all the guides while the head is off in case another guide is about to fall out.

Get head reamed for oversized guides by a good machine shop should fix it.

Hi Niall, assuming the valve stem had not partially ceased in the guide which is unlikely after 14 years use then maybe it would be prudent to replace all the guides while the head is off in case another guide is about to fall out.

Get head reamed for oversized guides by a good machine shop should fix it.

Good advise above,overstressed and not up to the job Niall

Hi Niall,

While you have the head off it may be worthwhile to give it a tweak. There are areas that can be ground that will allow it to breathe better...photo below, compare it with a standard head (yours) and you'll see the difference...this is my head tweaked as per Kas Kastner and yes, it does make a difference.

If you want more info...email me my friend....tony@acecom.com.au

Cheers

Tony

head007.jpg

Hello, had my resident engineers listen and there is a very strong view it maybe timing, good luck, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, I don't think it's the timing chain/tensioner - although it may also be an issue!

I didn't have the opportunity to get back onto it until today. After much prevarication I opted to drop the sump and see if anything obvious showed-up. Nothing apparent but there is small amount of 'gold glitter' in the oil on the bottom of the sump. Not much perhaps only 50 to 100 grains and very small at that. Can't feel them between my fingers and no larger than 0.25 mm diameter.

I removed the cap and bearing to No 1 cylinder and that was all intact without damage. Need longer arms than mine to lift he prison out of the top of the bore whilst pushing from the bottom so haven't checked it's little end bush yet. I did note a small amount of ridging on he crankshaft journal though so it's probably necessary to regrind the crank. Oil pressure has always been fine however.

Given the likelihood of crankshaft machining I decided to alter tack and go the engine out route. I've got the radiator, starter and alternator out but the rest will have to wait unil Saturday. At the moment I'm suspicious of little end issues.

Hey ho :-(

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mine was a broken crank.

The sound if it comes though right is terminal damage sorry :(

Mine was also a broken crank. So I suppose that does count as terminal damage.

Drove around 150 km back home afterwards - very, very gently. Still maintained around 30/40 psi oil pressure at 15-1800 rpm.

Decided to ship the car back to the UK rather than rebuild/machine here. Should, hopefully, be back towards the beginning of next month. TR saved but wallet still shaking!

Hi Ash,

I don't know what caused the crank to break, we were only cruising gently for a couple of nights away, but I suspect that it was either just old age or dodgy machining from the last rebuild (perhaps square rather than rounded corners to the journals? I'll inspect when the broken one returns here).

The engine is being sorted by TR Enterprises so should be good for another few years. No high-performance mods just a good sensible touring engine.

Fortunately, our Alvis TA14 is still running very nicely so classic days out still on the calendar (although after all the rain and cold it's a tad too hot now in the daytime!).