Radiator overflow bottle

Rob,

The bottle sits beside the radiator, on the right hand side viewed from the rear, and the bottom is roughly level with the rad support bracket. There is a useful diagram on the Moss website:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2008

I think all the parts you need, including the bracket, are available.

Mike

Edited by mike3md

I recently purchased the Moss rad to bottle pipe and they sent a rigid item which did not fit.

When I rang the guy said send it back and we do the green flexible tube by the meter but it is only in the catalogues for the Spitfire for some reason.

So don't buy the part no shown in the cat for the 4A but ring up and get some off the roll, I suggest you get enough to have a spare as hardly any garages or Factors stock this today.

Spitfire part GRH1001M

OVERFLOW TUBING

Note: per metre

£3.35

Edited by potts4a

Hi

Attached is a picture of the bottle and carrier fitted to my Tr4

The bracket was attached to the same mount on the inner wing as the over rider steady bar

I've kept the original (?) bottle and carrier, but it was a bit tired, so I replaced it with an Irn-Bru water bottle and carrier !!!

Not everyone's cup of tea, but buried in the engine bay you don't notice it and the overflow tube fits into the lid perfectly.

Stuart

post-11328-0-50074200-1366834577_thumb.jpg

post-11328-0-19677600-1366835036_thumb.jpg

post-11328-0-16112500-1366835057_thumb.jpg

post-11328-0-35782800-1366835107_thumb.jpg

post-11328-0-50074200-1366834577_thumb.jpg

post-11328-0-19677600-1366835036_thumb.jpg

post-11328-0-16112500-1366835057_thumb.jpg

post-11328-0-35782800-1366835107_thumb.jpg

Rob,

I bought a new overflow bottle and bracket for my 4A as the old one looked very tatty from Chic Doig on EBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADIATOR-OVERFLOW-BOTTLE-and-PIPE-KIT-TR4A-5-6-SPIT-/370674713236?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564def4294

I have now fitted a different overflow system and you are welcome to have the one I bought for the cost of the postage.

The bracket fits in the same place as original, using the original bolt holes.

Its the washer bottle on the LH wing. Could well be the same as a Spitfire, in my experience most triumphs and MG's of the era had a very similar washer bottle.

I have Piper socks for the trumpets, I've got a fire extinguisher as well (ref earlier threads about bonfires waiting to happen etc)

Yes - horn(s)by the upper valence steady (the over rider steady is lower down).

Always struck me as a poor position, just adding clutter to the engine bay.

Horns should be heard and not seen.

They would be less obtrusive located down by the forward body to chassis mounts.

The loom would need extending and they wouldn't be as well protected from the elements though.

.............and why fix it when it aint broke etc etc

Edited by stuartmac
  • 2 months later...

Rob,

The bracket should fit to the front RH body mounting bolt, near to the radiator mounting bolt. If you are still not clear, I will get a photo for you.

Cheers

Graeme

There are two slotted mounting holes for the overflow bottle just in front of the front body mounting bracket on the lower part of the right hand wheel arch.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

HI Stuart,

Do they have an inbuilt filter or do you suck in unfiltered air?

Yes, that's the major point. In any case, the air supply to the piston chamber is not filtered. That's why I removed mine for true filters.

Badfrog

hi , i have just fitted my overflow bottle , after cleaning and revamping . it looks great and fitted on right hand side of rad ( looking from the steering wheel . the question is .do yuo have to fit it ? , i did consider running a copper pipe from the rad down to the open air .i know this is not standard,but whats wrong with that, less clutter in the engine bay !!

cheer coolie

Water like most things expands when hot. The excess vloume winds up in the bottle.

When it cools the vacuum sucks it back into the engine.

This relies on the radiator cap working correctly and there being no leaks, even air-leaks.

Could you partly fill the system to allow for expansion. You could, its just tricky to get the quantity exact;y right.

It would get topped up and the anti-freeze mixture would get diluted.

Don't forget to cut the bottom of the hose at 45deg (not flat) to avoid it vacuuming to the bottom of the bottle !

I fitted a heavy duty plastic hose, cut to length