Fuel leak at pump

Yesterday I took the car out and at low speed (2nd gear) I suddenly had a smell of petrol in the cabin. It went away as I started to drive. After 45 min I parked the car, and today popped the bonnet and noticed petrol around the copper pipe leaving the pump to the carbs. A small rag produced some from a drip - not a big one. Almost seemed like a brief "spray" and it stopped.

I got out a wrench and gave the union bolt a 1/8 turn clockwise. I did not want to over torque it. Started the car and no immediate drip. No more problems on the ride back.

How much can I tighten this? Does it just "vibrate" loose after a number of miles or is there something more serious at work?

Ron

Based only on my own experience which is not comprehensive I would say its tight enough if it doesn't leak.

I generally tighten those sort of compression joints finger tight and then spanner a bit of a turn, and yes things vibratre, rattle and shake loose on old cars.

So an occasional tweak of something or other is normal. If it keeps leaking/coming lose then it's serious.

Others will no doubt give a more numerate and comprehensive response.

Mike

Edited by MikeF

It could be the olive starting to give notice, as the nut is tightened the olive squashes up to seal and as Mike says vibration over time can take its toll. Keep an eye on it and if the leak re-appears then its time to replace. The fuel line from the pump to the carbs is pretty much unsupported for a fair run until it curves round under the thermostat housing and can fracture especially if its an original steel one.

Stuart.

you did right in not giving it too much torque,...it is easy to cause cracking of the body of the pump,rendering it scrap,...

please don't ask me how i know :rolleyes:

I have my eye on it. Will take the car out again this weekend and we will see what happens...fingers crossed. The last thing I want is petrol all over my newly painted engine!

Hi

I have a similar problem and am grateful for advice not to overtighten.

Attached photo shows 2 small alloy connectors between both in and out fuel lines and pump - what are they for.

Thanks in anticipation

Keith

North Yorkshire

post-11075-0-02167700-1366051402_thumb.jpg

post-11075-0-02167700-1366051402_thumb.jpg

hi keith,..had a look at your pic and i can't see what purpose they serve or what they are for,....i could guess but i wont .

i am sure some one will come along soon and shed some light on your problem

regards terry

Keith,

Those 2 adaptors are not original. The pump body looks quite new, I would guess it's a replacement & for some reason has different threads(??) Those adaptors allow the original unions to fit??

only guessing from the pic...

Attached photo shows 2 small alloy connectors between both in and out fuel lines and pump - what are they for.

Hi Ron, sometimes even a new olive can fail to seal if the seat in the pump has previously been damaged. Having tried various bodges when mine leaked whilst on holiday including plumbers tape all of which did not cure the leak completely I fixed it for good as follows. I obtained two shouldered adapters, parallel thread with connectors for rubber hose at other end. These were screwed into the pump inlet and outlet using dowty washers to seal.

For those who are not familiar with these they are alloy washers with a silicon/ nitride seal bonded to the centre. They can be used more than once, need no additional sealant and will work as long as the two mating flanges are reasonably flat. Been dry as a bone for over 3 years since fitting these.

• 8 years later...
On 4/16/2013 at 11:39 AM, ChrisR-4A said:

Hi Ron, sometimes even a new olive can fail to seal if the seat in the pump has previously been damaged. Having tried various bodges when mine leaked whilst on holiday including plumbers tape all of which did not cure the leak completely I fixed it for good as follows. I obtained two shouldered adapters, parallel thread with connectors for rubber hose at other end. These were screwed into the pump inlet and outlet using dowty washers to seal.

For those who are not familiar with these they are alloy washers with a silicon/ nitride seal bonded to the centre. They can be used more than once, need no additional sealant and will work as long as the two mating flanges are reasonably flat. Been dry as a bone for over 3 years since fitting these.

Hi Chris,

I have a leak at the fuel pump, from the feed to the carbs and came across your response to this problem. It’s a while ago now, but are you able to say where you obtained the adaptors and washers?

a friend builds electric fuel pumps, but I’m reluctant to go that route as it’s something else to tuck away in the engine bay. 

thanks

Greg 

Greg - is your fuel pump an original AC Delco unit or a modern unbranded repro? Leaks as you describe are not uncommon on repros due to the quality of their manufacture and aren't always fixable.

On the other hand a leak on an original AC Delco unit should be eminently fixable provided it hasn't been way overtightened  - a new olive and the short "U" shaped outlet pipe should easily fix it as a last resort.

If you find you need and are really stuck for another pump, I have a Dave Davies restored one spare.

Cheers Rich 

Hi Rich,

thank you for the advice and help. Last night I nipped it up and that seemed to work a treat for now. I’ll look to getting a new olive and feed pipe. 

thank you

Geeg