Lead loading seams ?

Looking at photos of various TR4s & 5s, I'm a bit puzzled about the short cross-seams in the rear section - there are 4 per side, 2 on the rear 'tonneau' and 2 by the rear lights. Sometimes some or all aren't visible and thus must be leaded, others have all 4 on display.

I'm just getting started on prepping the body for paint and my inclination is to lead them all - anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Thanks,

Anthony

Edited by Superaquarama

I think that if you lead these it may split. Lead works best evenly spread over a reasonable area.

If you looked at mine you would see the two on the top surface but none around the lights.

This is because I chose to remove them. Others may have done the same.

I did this by making a lapped joint and welding them when I made a replacement panel for this area.

I could easily have removed the ones at the top but chose to leave em. This was actually a bit more work.

I am sure some of em just get filled up with body-filler.

Al.

I think that if you lead these it may split. Lead works best evenly spread over a reasonable area.

I am sure some of em just get filled up with body-filler.

Al.

Cobblers! I always lead fill all the seam joints on the read decks and down around the lights and then put the seam line back in afterwards. It stops the cracking of the paint as lead is flexible. I also do this for the bottoms of "A" and "B" post to sill joins for exactly the same reason.

I would always walk away from a car with no seam lines if Im looking for one for a customer as pretty much everyone else just fills over those seams and thats a bodge and usually means poor repairs.

Stuart.

For additional insurance against lead filling to the seams cracking,

consider a bulkhead welded in between the petrol tank and the

passenger comnpartment.

A good idea anyway, whatever your treatment to the seams.

AlanR

Oh well, I walk away from cars with alternators instead of dynamos, TR6 wiper-motors and MX5 seats.

But its good to know that you can fill these with lead and it works.

Al.

Only guilty of MX5 seats but for the miles I do and the fact that Im 6ft4in I wouldnt have it any other way. FWIW I still have the original seats but their in my shed ;):lol:

Stuart.

Its your car that looks wrong without them.

Mine looks just right.

Al.

You probably wouldn't like my car with all it's modifications but the seams are still there...it's how it should be bodywise.

Tony

The seams on my car were filled (with polymer) by a PO and were cracking. This made a handy negotiating point with the seller (who had bought to resell) on grounds it must be a cover up. Talking to the last real PO he said he had filled them because he thought PO to him had made a bad job on replacing panel. The filler went when the car was repainted on grounds of authenticity and tidy up (metal was sound). Afterwards I thought car looked better (posher) with them filled, but I have to say I don’t really notice that part of car.

Mike

Oh well, I walk away from cars with alternators instead of dynamos, TR6 wiper-motors and MX5 seats.

Al.

So that's why I've never seen you round here then :)

Mike

Edited by MikeF