Retrimming TR4A Windscreen Frame

Having removed the vinyl trim around the frame, before painting, I was going to replace it with glued on ordinary type vinyl but have noticed in the Rimmers catalogue that there is a moulded vinyl trim set listed. The trim I have removed was very brittle and could have been a moulding but I'm guessing that the brittleness is due to age and is ordinary vinyl which is also listed in the catalogue. Can anyone confirm this? Any tips on doing this retrim would also be appreciated.

Alan.

I used Vinyl from Skinner.

It's quite a tricky job. I wrote up some notes on how I did it. PM me if you go this way.

The end result was good.

Vinyl is a better material, more stable in the long-term. The mouldings are heat-formed probably based on styrene.

Materials like this suffer from lower UV resistance which is why you probably have brittle cracking in the originals.

The original moulded parts did pretty well, I am not sure that Chinese repro materials will do the same!

This is why I chose to use Vinyl.

Another thing is that you can run the Vinyl right over the flange on the frame.

This increases the thickness and reduces the chance of leaks.

http://flickr.com/gp/90670218@N04/uxm6j1/

Al.

My late TR4 had the original vinyl trim which I replaced with ordinary automotive thin black vinyl.I'm with Alan...wrap it over the flanges, keeps it all nice and tight and makes a good job of it, at a fraction of the cost.By the time the rubber is on, very little actually "shows " at the end of the day.

FWIW the moulding set do fit over the frame lip and though fiddly to fit do look very original, problem with vinyl is the overlap sections top and bottom each side tend to be a bit too thick.

Stuart.

Yes Stuart, this is one of the bits where you need to know a few tricks to get it to look OK.

I nearly stitched these. but this would be hard and is not needed.

The Vinyl is thicker than the original mouldings and I was worried that the screen would be hard to fit.

But this is not the case. Lube and the rope trick worked and this was actually easy.

Al.