SU Carb Spec to Replace Stroms?

Fellow enthusiasts,

I'm looking to change my Stroms on my 71 US import 6 with some SU's. The price of a reconditioned set on the web seem to vary from reasonable to outrageous! I've seen SU's for TR7's and GT6's on fleabay that are 1 3/4" but don't know if these are compatible or would cost a fortune to adapt. Can anybody shed any light on the do's and dont's of changing their Stroms to SU's and what's the best option? (I've read some previous threads and have seen the article that makes reference to Andrew Turner at su-carbs).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sparky,

This has been addressed in the U.S. forum ( www.6-pack.org ). No performance advantage is gained and originality is lost. Unless your mind is made up regardless of these facts you might consider saving your money.

If I had a U.S. spec TR6 I'd fit a P.I. cam, mill the head and fit triple Weber DCOEs ( and a few sundry other things which far fewer folk could justify doing ). That would make for a highly worthwhile exercise as it would transform the car at a stroke.

You won't be gaining anything performancewise with SU's. Your ZS carbs just need reconditioning.

Get a rebuild kit and the throttle bypass valve "diaphrams" because they do not come any kit ..at least none from the US suppliers and follow this procedure.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm

The flange to the manifold should be the same. The throttle shafts might not be, but they are replaceable and may need replacing regardless.. If the SU carbs are used you might plan on rebushing the throttle shafts regardless.

SU's, unlike ZS carbs, do not have neoprene bushes that prevent metal on metal contact during rotation.

Fellow enthusiasts,

I'm looking to change my Stroms on my 71 US import 6 with some SU's. The price of a reconditioned set on the web seem to vary from reasonable to outrageous! I've seen SU's for TR7's and GT6's on fleabay that are 1 3/4" but don't know if these are compatible or would cost a fortune to adapt. Can anybody shed any light on the do's and dont's of changing their Stroms to SU's and what's the best option? (I've read some previous threads and have seen the article that makes reference to Andrew Turner at su-carbs).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

any 1 3/4 will fit, from saloons tr7 etc. then you need to fit yellow springs and bae needles.ditch the waxtat jets if they are fitted.

has your car still got the square inlet manifold.the later banna shape one is better,but wont fit early us narrow port head.

richard