Hi,

It's sometime since I have posted, have just been enjoying pootling around Wirral during the drier winter days. One of my projects this winter was to tile the garage floor, not least to keep the dust down but mainly to smarten the place up. One of the concequences is that I can now see all the oil drips, whilst most are manageble there is a drip from the rad which is not hose related(one drip every 40 seconds) any tips on sorting this without the fuss of removing the front end

Keith

Keith,

Have you tried any of the proprietary radiator leak products available from Halfords? They have worked for me several times and one of them should do the job, especially as it seems to be only a minor leak.

Brian

...there is a drip from the rad which is not hose related(one drip every 40 seconds) any tips on sorting this without the fuss of removing the front end

It ain't necessarily so - I had a similar drip and feared my new radiator was at fault as the source seemed to be at the bottom of the rad and all hoses appeared leak-free. However, it transpired that the problem was a neat cut in a hose caused by a bracket which closed the cut when the engine wasn't running making it difficult to trace. Hoses and radiator were dry within minutes of parking, leaving just a small pool of coolant on top of the radiator bottom tank (below the fins) which is where the drip appeared to be coming from.

(See this thread http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/30813-tr3a-bottom-hose-thermo-switch-position/?hl=radiator&do=findComment&comment=225870)

Are you sure it's the radiator? Water pumps tend to develop a leak after not being used for a longer period... and at the time you see the drops, they have found their way down to the floor.

Menno

Also worth checking the drain tap (if fitted) my tap has fits of incontinence when stood for a while, seems to clear up when the car is driven.

Edited by Paul Down
  • 8 years later...

Mine is coming from the extension header to top tank joint LH upper.  Irritating as the rad is under 5 years old.

Will start by cleaning and applying K -Poxy adhesive filler then do an application of KSeal on the internals.   This will happen this week, failing that it is apron off and radiator out.

647A3EAA-0899-4637-A9BB-24140FE3A0B2.jpeg

When mine leaked there, I applied new solder (after considerable cleaning, fluxing etc), making quite a large fillet for strength. been ok since.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Peter - when I had a similar weep some years ago, I cleaned the area thoroughly and used JB Weld (recommended by Glen).

This worked and lasted several years until I replaced the radiator and the old Kenlowe pusher fan with a large alloy radiator with a built-on Revotec sucker fan.

Ian Cornish