TR4A steering column

Guest pwardley

Guest pwardley

I'm bidding on a TR4A on eBay (auction ends 8th Jan). I've driven the car, which is a low-mileage, non-restored re-import from California, and in many respects it's an impressive car, but there's one thing that bothers me.

I'm no expert on the marque or model, so can anybody tell me if it's normal for the steering column to have free play in the vertical plane, i.e. when the steering wheel is pulled towards you and then released. Slackness is minimal when the wheel is rotated left and right, as in ordinary driving, but when pulled towards the driver there is 2-3mm free play, accompanied by a solid metallic chink. Is this a common fault or does it indicate wear in the steering system?

Thanks,

Paul

The flexible rubber coupling in the steering column (underbonnet) can deteriorate, allowing more vertical play.

It's very simple to replace.

hi

The streering column joints are a bugger to tighten fully without damaging bolts etc (I think there was a rather dubious modification suggested in TRAction a few months ago now that involved "modifying" the clamp with a grinder/ saw!). The vertical play can occur when the column slides in the clamp splines. It will function as intended side-to-side but will move fractionally when pulled.

Get someone to pull and push the wheel while you check each of the clamps and tighten the one (if any) that aren't tight enough.

Also, make sure that the "safety" clamp, just the other side of the bulkhead (in the engine bay) is tightene too and that the play isn't occurring there.

Fairly straightforward, even if you do knacker a couple of bolts, they can be replaced!

hope this helps, cheers

Ade

Sorry Andy, I seem to have used a computer that you were logged in on! I wonder if you've logged in on eBay...? Hmmm

Paul, it's simple in comparison with rectifying horizontal free play, occuring when the bushes in the upper half of the steering column are worn : steering wheel, column, stalk switches etc... have to come out.
Guest pwardley

Thanks to both for your advice. It's obviously not a big problem so I have resumed bidding on the car, but I fear it's going to sell for more than I am prepared to pay.

If so, my two-year quest for a TR4/A will continue in 2005!

Cheers,

Paul