TR6 Callipers

Brake Callipers. I am about to refurbish a pair of Brake Callipers from a 73 TR6 with chassis number CR26930. Moss brochure says the car should be fitted with 16P Metric Callipers but it has 16PB callipers. As I need to renew the entire pipe work too I would like to know if the Calliper is correct for the car year – metric/imperial. I have owned the car since it was 4 years old (off the road for the past 30) so I know the callipers have never been changed. Have I misinterpreted the Moss catalogue and are 16PB correct for this year. Thanks

16P would be earlier than 16PB. Not quite sure when the swap was but would think that only the very earliest TR6s got 16P. Makes no practical difference - calipers are identical apart from the dust cover design (PB MUCH easier to fit!).

Later cars would have had the metric version, the M16. These are also very similar apart from the threads being metric and needing special shouldered bolts to fit them.

Seems that as you know the history of the car what you have is more likely to be correct than the Moss catalogue!

Might find this useful

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Front/Front.htm

Nick

According to Roger Williams book they changed at the end of 1972 to metric...hence youre on spec

I bought a pair of callipers for my 1974 US spec TR6 from a major distributer and received one of each by mistake. They are not identical; the securing bolts are different size and one will not fit the other. I think that the imperial size have a slightly smaller hole.

I was in Belgium at the time and eventually had to send my bolt to ensure that I received the correct calliper. It turned out to be the metric one.

The Buckeye triumph site gives good explanation and photos on calliper types. However, it suggests that the metric callipers did not get fitted until late 1972. I have a June 1972 CP and it has metric callipers. Further research on the subject on pastparts website suggests metric callipers were fitted from April 1972.

I was looking at my own callipers yesterday as I was replacing discs and the seals are not good. I also have a hard pedal and now that my servo is new, i think callipers are the culprit. As moss only make the imperial version, I have determined it is easier to get an exchange remanufactured metric set from http://www.pastparts.co.uk/triumph_calipers.htm

Haven't ordered them yet, so can't comment personally, but have seen positive comments on the forum.

Hope this helps