Anyone know any information on this car which his a Genuine TR7 Sprint in inca yellow. This car was built in speke 22nd to 30th June 1977 and was in British Leyland till 3rd April 1980.

This car was used by D F Hawkes, from the Power Train Div. Cawley, Coventry between 9th November 1977 to 3rd April 1980. This cars colour change to Blue prior to leaving Cawley and has a Early Blue Velour interior from the original Green Check.

Also anyone Know of D F Hawkes.

Thanks in advance

Jim Johnson :)

Jim,

Can't tell you anything about DF Fawkes however in the past I did come across some photographs of SJW 538S in the BMIHT photo archives. These were taken on the 23/10/78, and are negative numbers 108218 to 10826. Commission number on one of the negatives was given as ACH00513, with paint FAB and trim RAB. Interestingly the negatives were titled "Japanese TR7"

Regards

Derek Graham

Derek,

That very interesting to know this and the Commission number of car is ACHOO513. This might explain the remains of the Air Conditioning parts on this car etc and this car been a Right Hand Drive.

How can I obtain these pictures.

Thanks

Jim Johnson  :D

Jim,

The Picture Archive Consultant at the BMIHT is Tim Loakes and he can be reached on the BMIHT no 01926 641188. Tim is very approachable and will post or fax you photocopies of the negatives. The cost of prints is however pretty prohibitive at £10 for an 8"x6", £14 for a 10x8 and £16 for a 12x10 so best to look at the negs first.

Regards

Derek

Jim,

Absolutely right, number range is 108218 - 108226. More speed less haste comes to mind!

There are also some of ACH00520. These ones are dated 1/11/77, number range is 105512 - 105517 and title is "TR7 Sprint Homologation"

Derek

My TR7 sprint is chassis no ACH 00520 registered SJW 530S its the car used by Tony Pond for making pace notes. It is finished in carmine red and was factory fitted with sunroof, alloy wheels, rear foglights and front spoiler.

Chris,

I thought that was your commission number.  These pictures will hopefully give good referance for us both and other sprint owners. I will be ringing for copy negatives this week. This puts my mine at rest regarding my sprint having extra similar to the USA spec but RHD.

Derek keep you informed of progress thanks again.

Jim Johnson

Chris/Jim,

A little bit of further information on the negatives for ACH00520. 105512 shows the commission plate and gives Paint CAA, Trim RAA, 105513 is a front 3/4, 105515 is a side view, 105516/17 are of the engine bay. I don't appear to have recorded what 100514 is. For completeness the only other reference that I came across to possible TR7 sprint were negative nos 108034-108039. These were dated 29/09/78 and were titled Jap TR7 engine bay. 108034/35 showed the engine bay, 108036 was a front 3/4 of a TR7 with reg VOX 787T, 108037/8/9 were of decals/logo. I didn't record what was written on them unfortunately. I would definitely recommend that you look at photocopies of the negatives before ordering any prints. I would also ask Tim to see if he can find any other references in the hand written ledgers to either the Sprint or to Japanese TR7. At the time I was looking for references to Lynx and Broadside and may not have spotted all of the Sprint.

Hope that this helps.

Derek

Dereck, thanks for the info I will try and get at least one of the photos when I go to Gayden for the Triumph marque day.You mention reg no VOX 787T, this is near to the reg no on my Coca Cola car which is  VOX 793T which had the Power train division as its first owner.

Derek / Chris,

Have received copies of negatives now and are very interesting, just need to pick which ones. Pictures 105512 to 105517 of Chris's car I have seen some before but cover engine Bay shots, Commission plate and side views, with no Reg Plate fitted.

My Car pictures cover outside views (Reg Plate On), Commission No, Interior and underneath shots. Pics confirm Air Con fitted, Steel Wheels and no passenger door mirror and a pair of front and rear fogs fitted. Exhaust system is fitted with a exhaust shield most likely to protect the cat.

Pictures 108034 & 108035 are not much use showing a 8 Valve engine.

Jim

Derek / Chris,

After alot of thinking on which ones to purchase / started thinking if the negs ever deteriate at gaydon so purchased the full nine. Should have them in about a week. Will show them to you both sometime.

Regards

Jim Johnson

Derek,

Pictures arrived today and are of good quality and comfirm various details of the car. These pictures have comfirm alot of my fears of various things on this car which before made me think it had been reshelled using a american LHD shell / converted to RHD etc.

This will help me, in the restoration so its closer to its former spec.

Should be going to the National this year at Malvern so can show you the photo's or maybe the car.

Regards

Jim

Look forward to seeing the photos......

I keep reading about how "interesting" these photos are and I’m sure I'm not alone in my inquisitiveness regarding them? ???

So why not scan a few and post them on this thread?

Look forward to seeing them.

Cheers

Andrew

• 5 months later...
Guest saffron

Jim,

Look forward to seeing them. Joan on the Register stand will be able to tell you when I am doing a stint on the registrars table next to the Register stand or give me a call on 07709483792.

Cheers

Derek