Radiator Cowl - Essential, nice to have or unnecessary?

My TR6 has been fitted with an electric fan but has no radiator cowl.

The car seems to perform fine without it - no overheating at all - so my questions are:

1) Given I have an electric fan, is the cowl essential or would it only improve aesthetics?

2) If it is essential/recommended is there any benefit in going for a stainless steel or aluminium cowl instead of the original cardboard effort?

Thanks,

Steve.

Well, the ali or stainless ones last and dont fall apart when they get wet, however are a tad more expensive. Some like the looks so thats a consideration. I believe the cowl is valuable in summer (whats that I hear you say) when the cooling on TR's is at best marginal (especially in traffic jams etc). Sure there will be some additional views on this.

My first summer in myTR5 (no cowl) led to an incredible number of dead flies all over the engine bay. For that reason I adopted a TR6 cardboard cowl which has stopped the car from being a mass grave for insects.

Although my TR didn't have a cooling issue I still refitted the cowl.

I think it of most utility when the car is not moving as it imposes a directionality in cooling air flow. Otherwise you just get we warm air that has been through the radiator returning to the front of the radiator tobe blown/ sucked back through.

Tim

Steve, l fitted an aluminium one off ebay for my white 6 and it makes the engine bay look much smarter. They are easy to fit and should last as long as your car. Us Scottish owners don't have the worry of over heating from the temperatures we suffer with.

Craig

I had a cardboard one, the problem with it was that they just don't last look and their appearance suffers. I also bought an alloy one last year on ebay that looks good, fits well and does the job it was designed for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR6-aluminium-rad-cowl-/251250378520?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7fb08718

Jim

I have had the Stainless Steel version of the above ebay listing from the same seller for over seven years now.

The fit is great & on journeys to the south of france it certainly aids cooling & because I run a 4 inch plenumn the K & N air filter sits just underneath the cowl behind the grille so it benefits maximum cold air available.Fit & forget no issues. Never experienced overheating issues at over 40 degrees.

Cheers

Mike B)

My car with original Cowl and original fan has never overheated in the 41 years I owned it even in London traffic or on a trip to Spain! In fact since having the Rad recored a few years ago...I have to run some blanking over the Rad in winter!

I had a cardboard one, the problem with it was that they just don't last look and their appearance suffers.

Yes, the cardboard versions can look tatty, but they come up really well with some black boot polish - liquid type with the sponge applicator.

Like Denis I use the original and have never had any overheating problems. Also tends to run too cool in the winter.

Bill

Edited by badshead