OK sleuths, what about this ?

If you look at the FIA Homologation Papers for the TR7 V8/TR8, you will see pictures of two gearboxes. One is the usual, easily-recognisable production car box, but what is the other ? It's not a BL box of any type, as far as I can see ?

GRAHAM R

Haven't seen the papers.., but wasn't Getrag the traditional route to go for the unburstable kind of application..?

Hi Graham,

I think Neil refers to Tran-X, who Quaife bought out last year. Oft referred to as Trans-X, Transex or Trannex.

As far as I recall, Tran-X started out about the time that the TR era came to a close, and in any case their earlier offerings would not, I think, have been adequate for V8 torque.

If the mystery gearbox is not the 'quick release' BL box then it may be the Costello box ? That was supposed to have been trialled, and Ken Tomlinson mentioned in passing a few years back that it had been authorised for use but then canned by politics from above. Similar story to the Jack Knight axle.

I've mentioned this discussion to Chris Turner, he's going to dig around in his archives. Hopefully enlightenment on the morrow . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Thanks guys for all this. As I said, the Homologation Papers (which I cannot scan .... sorry) have a picture, so someone, out there, should be able to look at that pic and identify it.

Whatever it was, we should remember that it was presumably capable of withstanding more than 300bhp, and related amounts of torque, for use on 'works'-standard TR7 V8s ....

Alec,

Many thanks for your helpful input but ....

i have just looked up the description of the Costello box (AUTOCAR late 1974 had a cutaway drawing), which looks visually completely different. Oh, and another thing - the description said that Ken Costello said it could cope with up to 200bhp. Yet the 'works' TR7 V8s, as you so well know, had more than 300bhp ....

Keep digging, gentlemen, I really do, truly, want to know the answer ....

• 8 years later...