Stromberg CD 175 choke

The choke cable terminates at the carburettor end onto a catch on the front Stromberg (or should I believe) however, the cable on my TR is very stiff to operate and doesn't seem to have a catch so just fits on to the lever attached to the starter bar which of course inhibits the movement of the choke itself. Is there such a part and if so, can I get one from anywhere. I have been told "replace with SUs, but that is too expensive for me at the moment, and anyway, would much rather keep the car original if I can.

On your front carb you should have a ferrule attached to the lever on the starter bar.It's free to revolve and should ,when rotated to the correct orientation,hold the outer sheath of the choke cable.The inner cable continues skywards to the "pinch point " on the main body, just below the dome.

the inner cable is threaded through and a screw holds it in position.

Adjustment should be, in the car..push choke fully into the dash.Under the hood ensure cold start bar is fully down in the carb ( air filter removed ) inner cable slack at this point.Screwdriver and a pair of pliers at the ready, make sure the outer cable is seated in the ferrule,pull the inner cable taunt and then

screw down the retaining screw onto the cable.Make sure the starter bar doesn't move whilst you tighten up.

Adjust the gap to the recommended 0.062inches ( 1.575 mm ) where the stop screw bears against the curved part of the lever.

If all is present and correct on your car then there might be three causes.1.Bad routing of the cable..sharp bends, obstructions,etc.2.A frayed inner cable

3.rust /lack of lubrication of the cable.

Solution 1. Re route the cable 2.replace the choke cable. 3.detach cable ( at the carb end ) and hold upright as far as it will go and dribble oil down the inner cable.Operate it a few times and see if the operation is satisfactory.If still no good..it's a new cable required.

If it's a part that's missing in the equation please PM me and I'll have a hunt in the shed for you.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I have ordered a replacement choke cable from RevingtonTR which should arrive either tomorrow or just after the Easter weekend. I think the cable might have been replaced with a short one in times past ... not sure whether there is a ferrule. Will wait until I get the new cable and follow your instructions.