replacement fuel pump?

Thanks Guy, The filter can only go one way or the bottom of the bowl won't fit/ seal. Good point though , I've discovered a weep in one of the pipes on the pump, so I will have to wait until next week for a replacement , guess the fuel attacked it. So don't want leak ing petrol in the boot.

I wondered ( at 3am this morning ) if the pump could run backwards if reversed polarity and give me these.....

1. No start

2. Pressurised tank

3. Sleepless night

Anyway, can't do anymore on it till I've got the seeping pipe fixed.

Also it's going to be a very tight fit with the pump under the tank and still get the spare wheel in, hey ho classic cars eh !

John

-------------------------------------------

Hmm.

I thought the 996 has + and - marked on the black plastic plug on the

body of pump.

http://www.lucasinjection.com/Bosch%20996%20starter%20pump1.JPG

Cheers

Guy

Old age, bad eyesight ECT , any way don't know yet if + /- -/+. I sort of hope it is but do I own up on here ?

John,

Yup, you own up. :)

We have all made mistakes at one time or another.

Main thing is to get your issue resolved. :)

Cheers

Gu

Bosch 996 .....just for clarity the pipe that comes out of the pump on the side is the one going back to the MU isn't it ?

Checked the polarity, that's as indicated on the pump.

Replaced one of the pipes - no leaks now.

Ran the pump for 5 mins, connected coil, cranked , no go . TWICE.

Can't understand, it has ran after serviced injectors re-fitted ( for 10 minutes ) , changed fuel filter for a unipart GFE5370' which actually comes up on the PARTCO computer as TR 6.

moved the pump to below the fuel tank, although not bolted in yet.

So. I reckon...

The fuel filter as fitted restricts the flow to much

OR

For some reason the pressure has dropped to below the injector opening threshold

OR

I've done something daft

Call the AA.

Bosch 996 .....just for clarity the pipe that comes out of the pump on the side is the one going back to the MU isn't it ?

Checked the polarity, that's as indicated on the pump.

Replaced one of the pipes - no leaks now.

Ran the pump for 5 mins, connected coil, cranked , no go . TWICE.

Can't understand, it has ran after serviced injectors re-fitted ( for 10 minutes ) , changed fuel filter for a unipart GFE5370' which actually comes up on the PARTCO computer as TR 6.

moved the pump to below the fuel tank, although not bolted in yet.

So. I reckon...

The fuel filter as fitted restricts the flow to much

OR

For some reason the pressure has dropped to below the injector opening threshold

OR

I've done something daft

Call the AA.

Dont think AA would have a clue.

Photo time John,

When you say you serviced injectors, what do you mean?

Cheers

Guy

John,

I am unfamiliar with Cav type fuel filters, so cant really comment on how it should be set up, but

never liked them, inlet and outlet could still be too high for Bosch pump on floor of boot <_< . Fuel should flow into pump.

Perhaps some one else can comment on them.?

Perhaps rule it out and connect pump in its new position under the tank directly.

If happy days look at a Bullet type filter which you can get from Merlin Motorsport or Malcolm

at Prestige Development Injection.

Good Luck

Guy

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/FUEL-SYSTEMS-Bullet-Fuel-Filters/c26_157/index.html

Edited by Jersey Royal

On the fact that it ran ok after I refitted injectors albeit only

for 10 minutes I assume the injectors were injecting ok and the fuel setup worked, so all I've done is

Renew the filter and lower the pump.

I'm not in a position to check the pressure, may have to borrow or buy a gauge perhaps.

The injectors came back with a report for each one as removed and as sent back... All to spec.

On the fact that it ran ok after I refitted injectors albeit only

for 10 minutes I assume the injectors were injecting ok and the fuel setup worked, so all I've done is

Renew the filter and lower the pump.

I'm not in a position to check the pressure, may have to borrow or buy a gauge perhaps.

The injectors came back with a report for each one as removed and as sent back... All to spec.

Ok,

So if i were you i would take out filter and connect directly, if she runs theres something amiss with the Cav filter.

Perhaps theres something else NF or Neil would like to add.

Cheers

Guy

Good call Guy,but somethings do not add up?

John

Why did you change the injectors?

The pump where it was will have been working overtime and as before it must be below the filter so I fear the damage to it has been done,just wrong time it called it a day

I kept getting a blockage, or bad cone on number 5 and decided to send them all for calibration, I would be surprised if the pump went bad just as I changed the filter, might go and get a replacement filter as removed (for diesel ! ) there only about £3.50 and try that, just in case the unipart one is not as porous as the original ones ??

John,

test pump by disconnecting the outlet and let it run into a container.

The Bosch 996 pump gives 100L/hour flow - that means you should have 1 litre of fuel every 36seconds.

Its a rough test but if the flow is way off then you have an idea that the pump is faulty.

good luck

bob

Thanks Bob

I'll try that tomorrow - without a fag on.

John,

test pump by disconnecting the outlet and let it run into a container.

The Bosch 996 pump gives 100L/hour flow - that means you should have 1 litre of fuel every 36seconds.

Its a rough test but if the flow is way off then you have an idea that the pump is faulty.

good luck

bob

The saga continues

Took Bobs advice and ran the pump into a can....... Gushed fuel into the can for about 10 seconds then stopped pumping.

So I took the feed pipe off and guess what - yep , no fuel going to pump !. This after changing the filter again to the type I originally removed ( diesel type ).

Next I blew up the pipe and eventually heard bubbles in the tank, then fuel started to flow again with shi* I mean debris in it.

After a New filter, thoroughly cleaned bowl ect , and only a reasonably short time since a complete ground up re build to a very high standard by PO .

So job tomorrow, remove the complete fuel filter assembly and have to really consider removing tank and a thorough clean of all connected parts, time permitting, or a job for next weekend.

John

Use a torch and look inside the tank for a/ rust b/ I kid you not floating silicon

C. crisp packets. D. foil caps from fuel additives E. badly applied tank sealers F. acorns etc etc. its surprising what turns up in the bottom of some tanks

Stuart.