replacement fuel pump?

Interesting, amclp!

Just shows the 'suck' proficiency of the Lucas pump, I suppose. And the swings and roundabouts of modification, although why anyone wanted the pump under the bonnet, beats me.

Car was commission no. CP6 , Reg LHP 293F, one of several used by journalists for testing...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23771156@N00/4754660566/in/photostream/

I believe the pump had been mounted underbonnet from the beginning. No signs of it being mounted

anywhere else, as I recall.

If you look at the front left wheelarch on original TR5`s you will see three holes with small rubber bungs in them. This was the original mounting point for the pump and those holes continued for production cars despite the pump being moved to the boot. John Sykes has one of the very early cars that still has the pump there as well.

Stuart.

I had the original Lucas pump rebuild with a kit from a known supplier, and after more than 10k and very hot weather use, no issue at all even when long tours and driving hard.

Keep the original ! it makes sense

I had the original Lucas pump rebuild with a kit from a known supplier, and after more than 10k and very hot weather use, no issue at all even when long tours and driving hard.

Keep the original ! it makes sense

John,

I think it might be a Bosch 996 - one on fleabay recently for £hundreds

Bob

Yep looks like it but it will not work correctly there,it must be below the bottom of the tank

Yep looks like it but it will not work correctly there,it must be below the bottom of the tank

Thanks Neill

It been their since I bought the car, appeared to work ok though, why should it be lower ? If it needs moving ill move it, just changed the fuel filter now it won't start, it has just under half a tank of fuel. I was going to go through the injector bleeding process tomorrow but can't believe you'd have to do that if it ran out of fuel, still new to the tr6 so don't profess to know really.

John

Hi John

The Bosch pump cannot suck it needs a head of fuel. Ideally below the filter also, that is why your car won't start and it would also explain the noise you have with it. Hopefully not damaged too much.

When you have done that John,remove coil lt leads and let it run for up to 5 minutes and it should bleed the system

Moved the pump to a position lower than tank, and put another 10 litres of fresh juice into the tank ..........

Just done the 5 minute run up, still won't start. Took no 2 and 5 injector pipes off, injectors full of petrol, but, plugs look dry !?.

Can't understand what's going on here.

It ran great until I changed the fuel filter.

Thanks guy. I'll check to see if mine has one,

After cranking you can hear air escaping from the fuel filler cap, is this normal, I haven't heard it before. Must mean that the fuel tank is under + pressure after the pump has been running.

There is also a similar small filter where the main fuel line enters the metering unit.

Stuart.

i take it that when you changed the filter you clamped the fuel pipe to stop the flow of fuel ?

may be the pipe has not gone back to it's internal size there by restricting the fuel flow to the pump.

If it ran well before you changed the filter it must be a problem in this area,even the filter.

There is a breather hole in the fuel cap,may be yours is blocked,try running with the cap open.

ROY

It's definitely a pressure build up in tank, after running pump if you pop fuel cap there's a whoosh ( outbound ) .??

Fuel Vapours or gases will increase the pressure in the tank, as fuel is used vapour pressure will also be increased. Your tank should have two returns on the top of the tank, one from PRV the other the return from the Mu( runs from engine bay to tank) Check both of these pipes are not kinked.

The tank should vent via the cap, have a look at the inside of the cap rubber there should be hole in it, only very small, maybe its gunked up

I dont think these would stop the car from fireing.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

John,

What sort of filter have you fitted? and is it fitted the right way around ie fuel in and out.

Worth a check

Cheers

Guy

Thanks Guy, The filter can only go one way or the bottom of the bowl won't fit/ seal. Good point though , I've discovered a weep in one of the pipes on the pump, so I will have to wait until next week for a replacement , guess the fuel attacked it. So don't want leak ing petrol in the boot.

I wondered ( at 3am this morning ) if the pump could run backwards if reversed polarity and give me these.....

1. No start

2. Pressurised tank

3. Sleepless night

Anyway, can't do anymore on it till I've got the seeping pipe fixed.

Also it's going to be a very tight fit with the pump under the tank and still get the spare wheel in, hey ho classic cars eh !

John