replacement fuel pump?

5 hours ago, joinathanbrooks said:

On hot days I have had issues with my Lucas based fuel supply. Read many articles and agree sitting on grass verge not such an issue although sitting on the side of the A12 in Essex no fun at all so looking for some ideas. Current setup is:-

1. Refurbished Lucas pump and PRV valve. Pressure checked at metering unit and Aok at 106 psi.

2. Direct positive and negative power feed to pump from battery with fused positive via relay.

3. Heavy duty cabling from battery to pump using 44/0.3 cable.

4. Soldered joints to pump wiring.

5. New braided pipe work to suit unleaded petrol front and back.

6. New filter and pipe work feed from tank.

Car runs absolutely fine and did a trip to SW UK and back with no issues. However, in hotter weather pump overheat and break down. Could only just touch the pump so suspect around 50-55C. Fuel tank felt warm and thought of filling up but dashed home instead. Used to have cooling coil around pump but do not like that idea because it heats the petrol up in the tank.

Does anybody know the origin of the cooling coil e.g. Triumph, Lucas?

I was wondering whether I have damaged the pump; any thoughts?

Thought of replacing Lucas with a Bosch pump although reading articles not fully convinced and more question if going that route.

Since to me this seems purely a pump heat problem was wondering about low powered fan (12V PC fan) to remove heat from the pump. Possibly use some heat sink profile also. Although would need to "lose" the hot air.

Any thoughts?

Hi JB!

The cooling coil was marketed by  Lucas, I still have one in its original box. Also there was a round aluminium cylinder with fins marketed but I do not know who by! This was clamped around the round part of the pump as a heat sink. I have only ever seen one of these.

Bruce.

I have a Bosch pump plumbed so the return line from the PRV is at the far side of the tank from  the pump suction line. Return fuel has to cross the tank and cool  before it can be repumped.

This system works well in ambients up to the high 30's - above this I leave the TR in the garage .