Headlamp flasher - 4A...........again

Hello Folk,

Apols for bringing this subject up again but a search didn't reveal anything pertinent. I hope someone has been here before.

The headlamp flasher on my 4A isn't working. A look-see during other work around the column suggested that this could be because the switch is not connected to anything. A thick red wire, which looked as though it had once been attached to the stationary tag on the make or break switch, was curled up in the cowl and the other end dangled unconnected in the foot well. So far so good - remake the connections and.........................

Where/what are the connections? The Autowire diagram shows the H/lamp flasher make or break switch with power in and out but its not clear where these connections actually are on the switch. The photo below shows the two halves of the light switch separated. The main part of the switch has a contact with a thin blue/white wire connected. This is the right colour for the feed to the high beam indicator lamp, but is also the colour shown for the headlamp wiring however the wire doesn't look thick enough for this sort of load. This part of the switch is the bit that moves to make contact with the tag on the outer part of the switch to which the thick red wire has been connected. Is the thick red wire an independent power supply in to this part of the switch or the feed out to the main beam lamps? If the latter is the power fed from some internal link within the switch?

Thanks for sticking with the story - I'm sure there's a very simple answer which I've overlooked.........................

Rgds,

Rob.

post-9420-0-19669500-1363558012_thumb.jpg

post-9420-0-19669500-1363558012_thumb.jpg

Rob,

As it happens, I have my TR4A steering column out and stripped for similar work.

A pic of the light/flasher switch is attached, stamped 34526E (10 65)

The wand/stalk is pitted steel rather than chrome so I suspect it is from a later car (TR5/6) with the black plastic covering stripped off.

No idea if it helps but it works perfectly (or did before I took it out!) and you can see the various wiring colours.

The wires to a headlight flasher are normally brown (or possibly purple) in and blue/white out.

But I'm not yet convinced that 4As ever had a headlight flasher as original with a chrome-stalk switch, either on the light switch or the indicator switch.

I posted this question a few weeks ago and the results seemed inconclusive - unless anyone can say for sure ?

Anthony

Anthony, Many years ago I had a 1967 registered (ctc77xxx can't be sure?) 4A which had headlamp flash incorporated into the master lighting switch on the Left hand side of the column - at that time it was only 3 years old with low mileage - mine definately had a chrome stalk.

Hi Anthony,

my 67 4A definately has the flasher with chrome stalk. I also have a TR4 - I will have a look at its switch to see if that is the same (I would have thought so).

Roger

PS - just read Stuarts post. The TR4 has different arrnagement (of course)

Edited by RogerH

The original 4a light switch does have the provision for headlamp flash as standard. They very often dont work as the contact blade tends to bend away over the years and the contacts get furred up also the switch arm pivot goes stiff if the car has been sat for years so it doesnt allow enough pull to make the contact but dont force it if it is seized as the stalk can break off, it needs lube ;) .TR4 light switch was originally on the centre dash and doesnt have a headlamp flash option.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I posed a similar question on the thread about Logic overdrive and a suitable momentary conversion of the original chromed overdrive stalk.

I believe an original 4A with overdrive, has a CHROME (not steel) lighting stalk with flasher, indicator stalk, and overdrive stalk ALL of which have identical neat black plastic tips with the sharply angled flange facing the dashboard.

Many folk use later TR5/6 stalks which have a steel stalk covered in black plastic. The plastic can easily be stripped off but the steel is usually corroded.

The TR4 overdrive stalk is slightly shorter, but otherwise identical to the 4A one.

Some of the later stalks have a slightly fatter black tip but work perfectly.

Repro. chrome stalks are available with the correct little black tip but all the ones I've seen have it set on back to front, on the overdrive variety at least.

Indicator stalks are the same on LHD & RHD cars as they can be set on either side of the steering wheel.

LHD overdrive stalks look identical to RHD ones but work upside down if set on the right for a RHD car. I hope these stalks can be bent because that's what I'm about to do.

I've never seen a 4A with exactly the correct 3 stalks which suggests the originals didn't last long!

Edited by Paul Harvey

Thanks All for very helpful responses.

Paul's photo confirmed that my 'loose red' is the live in to the independent H/lamp flasher side of the lighting switch. FWIW if the '10 65' on Paul's and the '7 68' stamping on my casting is a date reference the switch type had a long run apparently spanning 4A and 6.

Now I need to know why, if serviceable, the switch was deliberately disconnected..............

Thanks,

Rob.

Stuart can you confirm that this will either flash the dip or main beam depending on where you left the foot switch.

In other woirds you wont find a wire from the "flashing contact" that just runs to the dip beam.

Al.

It flashes the main beam regardless of where the foot switch is set.

Stuart.

Oh right, many thanks everyone. I'm going to need a new light switch so will have to ensure that it has a) chrome stalk and flasher facility. Then I can convert the flasher to a dipswitch with the aid of a Hella switchover relay !

Have to say I don't recall my 4A back in the day not having a flasher, as I'd driven MGBs, Mk 2 Jags, etc. which all had them and would probably have been a bit peeved if it didn't have one.

By the way, Stuart, forgot to acknowedge safe receipt of the PCV valve the other day - many thanks !

Edited by Superaquarama

And just to add to the mix.... I always liked the arrangement on my old Vitesse 6 (1964) where there was a main headlight switch on the dash which basically turned the lights ON and then the column switch selected between side lights, dipped headlights and main beam - and also had a flash facility. I seem to remember that the dash switch allowed you to have the lights on but NOT the instrument lights - kind of a more blunt but effective version of the rheostat on the TR.

I liked that - seemed to cover all the bases and avoided the use of a footswitch.

ANYWAY...excuse the interruption; as you were.

p.s. In answer to Alan T's point about the flash being dependent on the dip/main footswitch - the wiring diagram in the TR4A owner's manual seems to show that, but I can't think that it's right...

Edited by TorontoTim

FWIW if the '10 65' on Paul's and the '7 68' stamping on my casting is a date reference the switch type had a long run apparently spanning 4A and 6.

Rob.

Rob, I beleive that at least some of the TR5 and early TR6 light switches were the same as the TR4A switch but the chrome was covered in black plastic or painted.

Cheers

Graeme