Wire wheel hubs

I have a new set of wires that won't go on a old set of hubs.

This is because the hubs have wear ridges in them and a kind of burr pushes up

In a sense the wheels and hubs wear to fit each other and when you introduce something new it may not fit.

Al.

for what it's worth Rob,i i have had a look at my chrome wires which are coming off for cleaning after getting

salt on them from the drive on Friday!!!...the only markings i can find are RH and LH on the adapters and Right Side and Left Side on the Eared Spinners.

all wheels slide easily onto the adapters and there are no signs of damage to either splines,

all adapters are 26 years old,....3 wheels are 26 years old,one was replaced about 10 years ago because of broken spokes.

if you are having real trouble mating them all ,then i have to be with Alan on this[,Damaged Splines],..i don't think there is any other reason??

please have a look at them and post back

regards Terry

If any of you guys have knackered splined hubs of no further use and destined for binning I could find a use for them via a project I'm doing ? any offers ?

Mick Richards.

Yes, I got a new hub at Malvern and someone pointed out that it was an MG hub with too many splines ! And the knock-off thread was different.

Fortunately the vendor was still there so was happy to take it back, but you really need to take a wheel and spinner along or get one from a TR spares chap such as Mike Hazlewood which will be the correct item

Edited by Superaquarama

Remember also that TRs had a different thread form for the knock of spinners when compared to, for example, Healeys. I think the TR one is coarser.

I very nearly bought a cheap set of spinners at an autojumble until I someone nearby pointed it out to me,

Rgds Ian

If any of you guys have knackered splined hubs of no further use and destined for binning I could find a use for them via a project I'm doing

I'm intrigued - homemade hub puller?