Should I buy LHD og RHD?

I'm considering to buy an TR4A, but as I live on the continent I'm wondering if I should buy LHD or RHD.

It is more conveniant to have a LHD, but at the same time the RHD is the real TR and probably much rare. How many of the 28465 TR4As build were RHD? I've read somewhere that approxematly 3K (10.5%) were sold in UK and therefore normaly should be RHD, but what are the total?

The condition will naturaly be the most important factor, but when this is more or like equal on both cars and the color is the same, what then.

What would you recommend (LHD or RHD)?

Buy the best body you can find regardless of which side the wheel is on. As there were far more LHD cars then you will have a larger pool to draw from.For you in Europe a LHD car from a dry state in the US would be your best bet.

Stuart.

Thought I would wait for Stuart to post first - for obvious reasons!

Agree with Stuart. Also, I reckon the 'gap' in market value between

a RHD and a LDH converted to RHD is getting less,

plus,

why think too much about the value of the car when

you have no intention of selling it?

AlanR

In 1997 I went through exactly the same dilemma and bought a LHD TR4A from California to bring, after restauration in Britain, to France. What is bought in a 'dry' State may well, like my car, have lived a long time in other areas, in my case Canada, and consequently all floor panels had to be replaced. Beware of the solid axle TR4A all of which were sent to North America.

In 1997 RHD TR4As were worth something like 10-15% more than the LHD variety. Today LHD cars are at a premium, with VG TR4As being offerred in the region of 27-30,000 euros in France.

My advice to Colonel would be to buy a US car and bring it to Europe, possibly via Britain. Registration first in Britain may make it simpler to register elsewhere in the EU. The import tax into G-B will, I believe, be the old 'Purchase Tax' not levied when the car was exported originally and is probably less than VAT levied on the purchase price in the US which would probably have to be paid on a direct import to another EU state, but verify the tax position with an official source beforehand.

Piggott suggests that 28,465 TR4As were built, 3,075 for the Home market, 22,786 for export and 2,604 CKD, many of which will have been LHD examples for final assembly in Belgium, so, as Colonel says, a lot more LHD than RHD. In view of the current premium for the LHD variety and the fact that the car will be living on the Continent I would certainly buy a LHD car again. It could be argued that, in view of the volume manufactured, the LHD model is the real TR4A !

I experience both regularly and, from the driver's seat, driving a LHD in UK is quite easy while driving a RHD in France is a pain. Makes it difficult to overpass trucks, so you stay behind the diesel fumes. Have it easy on you, Colonel, get a dry state US LHD to drive on the continent.

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog

Hi,somebody said:beware of solid axle 4A's . Why is that? Was there something wrong with these cars?They are pretty rare,so is it a parts problem?If someone there needs an axle..I got some spares....

My advice would be to buy a rust free car from a dry state,and dry for us is cold,not California but Alberta or Oregon or Idaho. You rarely see rust around here,even cars that been sitting outside for decades are usually not to rusted. And if you locate a car,hop on a plane an check it out in person,a 1000$ will bring you over here and it could very well be the best money spend on your car. Make a deal with the people you're dealing: if you buy the car,they pay for the ticket..;; believe me,it works.

If you compare the chassis of a TR4A with that of a TR4, you'll see that the 4A is about half the width in the area of the prop shaft.

The 4A was designed to have its rear suspension hanging on the two diagonal mountings in front of the bridge piece, with the spring loading being fed into the bridge.

When a 4A is equipped with cart springs, the rear ends of these springs connect very near the rear end of the chassis. Any difference in the loading of these springs applies a torsional force to the chassis, and the narrow 'waist' receives this torque. Although the ladder-chassis TR4 may not be considered a very rigid chassis in torsion, the TR4A is surely even less so.

Ian Cornish

Well I havent had any problems with my solid axle 4a in the chassis area but it was properly rebuilt and strengthened when the car was rebuilt and as some of you can attest the suspension is wound up rock solid! The only drawback is there is only one version of spring available for them (Standard) and no tube shock conversion (Not that they need them if setup correctly)

FWIW the axle fitted to this version of the 4a is the strongest of all the Girling axles having heavier duty half shafts, (Which is why they are fitted to TR4 Tonys Beastie.)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Also for what it's worth........my LHD ex USA west coast, 4A solid axle has got stiffened springs (Revingtons supplied TR4 ones that fit after removal of the deep spring cones) and Limora do a tube shock conversion, as do several other suppliers if you want to go that route.......I think that again it is the TR4 conversion., but I have not needed to do this as the cart springs are very good.

Clive :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Try to find a LHD car in the UK and bring it to the continent. By far the cheapest option

I agree, with the very weak pound, you'll get a good deal in the UK where LHD values will also be slightly less because of the position of the steering wheel. I used to own a new car import business when the £>Euro was 1.5+. When the pound collapsed, I worked in reverse, sourcing and exporting LHD exotica (mostly Ferrari) to dealers in Europe where there was a lot of value added by putting the cars back on their "correct" side of the road.

Also for what it's worth........my LHD ex USA west coast, 4A solid axle has got stiffened springs (Revingtons supplied TR4 ones that fit after removal of the deep spring cones) and Limora do a tube shock conversion, as do several other suppliers if you want to go that route.......I think that again it is the TR4 conversion., but I have not needed to do this as the cart springs are very good.

Clive :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TR4 tube shock conversion doesnt fit as the shocks are mounted in a different place and the IRS conversion wont fit either due to the placement of the lower mounting. Ray Hill made up his own conversion kit so if anyone wants to go down that route best get in touch with him. Personally I have found the uprated levers work just fine together with the spring clamps I have fitted.

Stuart.

As other posts have said probably easier to import from the UK. Registration in France is straight forward (via the ffve) just going through each step 'as needed'. Haven't a clue about importing a Stateside car into France but should imagine there will be a lot more form filling to be done. I agree with 'Badfrog' about a RHD car over here but this is something I am prepared to live with as no way is the 2 going to be converted. :D

Nigel (with TS952)

In reply to classic 225, I figure that somebody in Europe looking for a TR4A wants the irs version. The TR4A solid axle was sold in North America as an 'entry' model and was not fitted with carpets but rubber mats. With 're-badging' all the rage, it might be a good idea for a potential TR4A purchaser to take a look underneath and check that the rear suspension matches the IRS badge on the back. On the subject of re-badging a Dutch dealer is selling a beautifully restored 'TR5,' only it's a TR250 fitted with a 2500 PI motor from a saloon (MG prefix to the engine number). The dealer admits to 'non-matching numbers' and the price is a stonking 49,500 euros !

In reply to classic 225, I figure that somebody in Europe looking for a TR4A wants the irs version. The TR4A solid axle was sold in North America as an 'entry' model and was not fitted with carpets but rubber mats. With 're-badging' all the rage, it might be a good idea for a potential TR4A purchaser to take a look underneath and check that the rear suspension matches the IRS badge on the back. On the subject of re-badging a Dutch dealer is selling a beautifully restored 'TR5,' only it's a TR250 fitted with a 2500 PI motor from a saloon (MG prefix to the engine number). The dealer admits to 'non-matching numbers' and the price is a stonking 49,500 euros !

That supports the growing suspicion that there are now more TR5s in existence than Triumph built. Cavat emptor has long been a problem with TR5s but it would appear that IRS TR4As may be in a similar category.