Intermittent wiper operation

Guest rayhill

Guest rayhill
I've fitted a Velleman K2599 intermittent kit with little success. It works perfectly on the bench using a test bulb, not too badly on the car with engine off, but with engin on, the timer becomes erratic. Although the kit is primarily for a wiper with the switch on the +12V side, it tis stated a sl aslo suitable for an earth switched system. just in case, by using an extra relay, I tried it on the +12v side with no improvement. I also have fitted a capacitor from the +12V supply to earth in case high frequency feedback from the ignition system was the problem, but also no joy. Anyone used this kit who can advise or can anyone suggest an alternative?
I have one of the Maplin kits fitted to a TR7 and as you found out, it need decoupling from the interference produced by the rest of the car.(dynamo, ignition, wiper motor etc.) I put a 100 microfarad elecrolytic and a 0.1 microfarad disc ceramic capacitors in parallel directly across the 12V supply into the unit (on the connector block on the circuit board).  You need the smaller capacitor to decouple the higher frequencies which cause false triggers in the unit and keep the leads as short as possible.