TR6 for sale - help wanted

Everybody viewing, nobody contributing...

If this is a general comment, we are all pleased that you got the issues with the TR6 sorted out and it has been interesting following the story. I hope you have years of trouble free TR driving ahead of you.

If the comment was about your winter project question, its really hard to answer as labor rates vary from one location to another and you could pull those fenders off in a couple of hours with no collateral damage or it might take two days of cutting, sawing, drilling, pushing and pulling only to find that you have uncovered a giant can of worms and now need to replace outer sills and B posts. The fixed cost like paint are fairly deterministic but the labor cost will be a bit open ended and will vary by region and local rates/conditions. If the car has already been restored recently it will be easier to remove the outer panels than one welded together with 40 years of rust.

Stan

Thanks for all the comments - very much appreciated. I had a good sidebar chat with Stuart who was very helpful as always.

Ragtag - I take the point! I will have a good think about it all over the summer and take it on advisement from Red Baron. As they will not be doing the work they would I believe give me an objective view on whether it is worth doing. Seeing my 6 in the garage next to one that had had the treatment, it tempting to see it as a compelling argument...

Anyway, the good news is I have my plates and will be picking up the car today. It's going to be a long day as I am giving a seminar in Dusseldorf in the afternoon so had to organise a car to take me the 112km from the seminar to the Red Baron garage which is off the beaten track. Thankfully I am not paying for it...

Have a great day everyone.

So I picked up the 6 today. Plated it. Then thanked Rolf. Met a very nice guy in the garage who has a 3A, an E-Type and an Italia. nice collection!

The 6 sat very nicely all the way to Brussels, in overdrive, sitting at 100-110kph, 2500 rpm, nice oil pressure and low temperature. 100km to Brussels no problem. lots of admiring looks and a couple of thumbs up from some tuners. Just great. I love my 6.

But ten minutes sitting in traffic IN Brussels and the top radiator hose split! Big White puff of discharge then steamed my way to the office. Made sure not to boil it. Just made it in. I taped it up and refilled the rad in the office but decided against moving the 6 further. Took my other car home.

So I have a trip to Angloparts in Mechelen in the morning to grab a couple of pipes (spares)...

Still got a great smile on my face though...

Great day

Hi Gavin,

It would be very good practice to replace all of the hoses whilst you are at it, including the heater hoses from the head and valve. Personally I have found the traditional rubber reinforced hoses to give the best seal, make sure you fit new clips. Refill 50/50 bluecol type antifreeze.

I hope you get some decent weather in Brussels this weekend - enjoy the car!

Regards

Kevin

Sounds like a proper initiation for a new TR owner. If the top hose has dry rot the chances are the rest of them are in the same condition so I agree with Kevin, plan on replacing them soon all unless they are obviously new. The short heater hoses under the dash are a pig to get at, make sure you note how these hoses are connected between the heater and the pass-thru's on the bulkhead before you take them off. And if you are out shopping get a spare heater valve, that is going to fail eventually also.

Stan

Hi Garvin, I just missed you at the garage, I left the place around 5 as Jo was in Spa with the Racing Team.

I notice you spoke to my friend Jop. Unfortunately his Italia left the garage a few weeks ago to have the interior fixed. I have seen the restoration from

point zero. In some ways it's a special car as it's Italia #2, displayed at the Geneva Motor Show at the time the model was launched.

I saw your car outside the garage, too bad you had the mishap with the hose, they should better have replaced them before, with the car lift it would have been done in no time.