TR6 for sale - help wanted

As far as I heard you can drive to the Controle Technique with the plates of your daily car, check this with Pascal, in Belgium rules change daily.The R.B. garage has no dealer plates as far as I know.

but they could drive to the Controle on a trailer.

Make sure the car has a correct and clear chassis identification nr stamped somewhere, In Belgium the letters have to be , I think 12 mm, but check it .

As i' m in S of France I have no access to my files, but you can find a lot of information about oldtimer registration on the DIV site.

Good luck, it's difficult and bureaucratic, but at the end it will come OK. :)

Thanks Jean. I checked with Pascal and I cannot use my daily driver plates on the 6 for the control technique.

Apparently, the control will only accept commercial plates (or the previous owner's Dutch plates - but as we have de-registered the car we cannot use his duplicate plates without breaking the law).

I know RB don't have dealer plates but Rolf was going to borrow some from a nearby dealer (they need to be for a 2.5L engine).

the chassis number is stamped in the engine bay plate and it is the original that was registered in Belgium so I hope it will pass but I will check.

Many thanks for the support Jean.

If its a CKD Belgian built car then it will have the chassis number stamped on the top of the right hand side footwell in the engine bay and the chassis number should also be stamped on the R/hand rear front inner wishbone box mounting. Clearly visible on the top.

Stuart.

It depends on how picky they get with their inspection as to whether you may have to stamp the chassis then if it hasnt already been done.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Garvin, the chassis nr on commission plate is not good enough, it will have to be stamped in the body/chassis. But as the car originates from Belgium/Netherlands the nr should have be applied somewhere prior.

Here is what Stuart means with CKD body nr

Thats the place Jean. Or if you have had to replace that box then have it re-stamped like this ;)

Stuart.

MarksTR5086-1.jpg

Looks to me as if that has been done afterwards for a previous Control check.. Im still wondering if your car may have been a personal export Canley built one and not a Mechelin built car especially as it has just a CR suffix on it. Is there any evidence of a stamping on the chassis?

Stuart.

Normal Mechelin stamping on their shells can just be seen on this picture of a L/hand drive TR5 foot well top. the stamping is in the foreground.

Stuart.

MarksTR5160-2_zps314ed181.jpg

Edited by stuart

Derek Graham (the TR6 Registrar) kindly told me the car is not a Mechelen built car but a Canley car. The last TR6 assembled at the Mechelen factory and highest commission number was CR5498.

So my chassis number puts it as a later UK car and we think it was built on or around 5 July 1974.

And I would tend to agree that this stamp indicates that it was done when the car was imported into Belgium in 1975 - perhaps this was done by Huygens Garage, the Belgian dealer, who sold it to the first owner as indicated in my papers?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was time to update this thread. For those of you who are interested,

I took an "extended personal break" from the office this afternoon and headed out to East Flanders in glorious sunshine and 18 degrees. I took the Fraulein with me on the promise of a shopping trip to the Outlet Village at Maasmechelen. After I had dropped her there, I made my way across to the Red Baron boys to talk about my '6.

They are very busy with the start of the season, but they kindly made time to talk about the upcoming service and controle technique. Must be difficult to pull yourself away from engine rebuilds to talk about more mundane things but as I am keeping another TR on the road I guess they feel I have earned a moment of their time.

Anyway,the next steps are on Friday so fingers crossed for a straight pass. I trust Jo Willems.

HIghlight of the day was seeing two beautiful TRs outside the garage (a LHD TR250 and a RHD TR5), all ready and prepped to be shipped out to NYC for a road rally across the States to CA. Picture attached. Beautiful!

An update. So the Red Baron boys have the 6. It was picked up yesterday and brought to their garage. It's starting nicely but sounding a little raspy so we need to check the exhaust box. To be honest, I think it sounded fine. So let's see.

My man Rolf is going to service it tomorrow or Thursday and I am hoping it will be controlled Monday. Fingers crossed.

It's not as quick as doing it myself but as the car has no plates it's the only option. And so we must be patient....

So an update from my man Rolf.

Service done today - car running very nicely - condition of engine, brakes and suspension all in good order. Seems like Rolf was right about the silencer box and it needed to be replaced. Luckily he tells me that my spare box (original) is in very good order. See photo.

As I suspected, the driver's side window mechanism and the seat belts need to be replaced, and a fog light needs to be fitted for the controle technique (and other minor things need to be done to keep the clipboards happy). Am hoping for a Monday control technique but I suspect it may run over...

Have a great weekend all wherever you are...

Gavin

Edited by Trigbush

Crikey. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

Just got a call from my man Rolf. He tells me he replaced the clutch slave cylinder (recall, someone had previously fitted one 1/8 of an inch too small which we had concluded led to the "hard clutch"). Well, the minute he replaced the slave cylinder, the clutch pedal action was improved...but the clutch would not change gear (as there was less clutch fluid being moved). Rolf seems to think there is a problem with the clutch cover itself - which would be a problem in a couple of months or so - and has recommended it be replaced.

So instead of going to the controle technique tomorrow...my '6 will have a couple of hours of clutch repair.

Sigh.

Edited by Trigbush

So another good day. Not.

Clutch not replaced yet so no controle today. It may only be Wednesday or Thursday. Sigh.

And then the heritage certificate turned up from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (six weeks after ordering it). Nice shiny certificate. Excellent except for the build and despatch dates are patently a year out. I checked with Derek our TR6 Registrar and he agrees it looks odd. My car CR6218LO is a PI and predates the last PI TR6 CR6708 which was built on the 7th February 1975 so it is not possible for mine to have been built on 8 July 1975 as claimed by the BMIHT...

Today marginally better. A call to the BMIHT Archive office promptly taken by a helpful Mr. Richard Bacchus.

I explained that there must be an error with the certificate. He said "leave it with me". Within an hour, I received the following email "Further to our telephone conversation, I have checked the build and despatch records for CR/6218-LO and can confirm that the years should read 1974 and 1975. Apologies for the error, I will have the certificate corrected and a new certificate and copy out to you today. If you could destroy the old certificate when it arrives, I'd be very grateful."

Amazing. I will be celebrating tonight with my own Bacchanalian response.

Day got even more marginally better. Replacement air manifold assembly arrived from Conrad (thanks Conrad!).

It looks pretty good on my desk (see attached). My secretary is still trying to work out what it is. I am sure it will look even better on my 6.

Corrected BMIHT certificate arrived day. Went straight into a plastic sheaf and into the car folder. Correct dates: build 8 July 1974 (oh yes!) and despatch 22 January 1975.

Anyway, car has not been controlled. And I am leaving for 15 days holiday in Serbia and Santa Monica. Here's hoping that I will be picking up a plated car on my return.

Who wants to bet it doesn't get done by 8 June?

• 3 weeks later...

Good news

So my last day in California and heading back to BRU very shortly. This morning I received a voicemail from Jo Willems at Red Baron. My '6 has been controlled and passed with flying colours. We just need to apply for the plates and then we are all good. Some good news to come back home to.

Have a good weekend all wherever you are and whatever you are doing. Drive safe.

That halcyon day is getting closer. I passed by the garage to see my 6. All the work has been done (a major service, driver's window mechanism replacement, new clutch cover and slave cylinder, new overdrive solenoid, anti-rust treatment in the back, new fog light, replacement of the light switch). It just needs a good clean!

It was great to get it running - fantastic sound with the original pipes on it - though I could tell it has been sitting a while as it was running lumpy. That will soon be addressed.

Went to the DIV (vehicle registration) this morning. Very quick. I got there before the masses. Submitted the documents, all in order. Plate should arrive tomorrow in the post. 1 OAW 406. Whilst I did not get my desired 1 OTR 674 (I can explain) I am happy the real plate ends in 6! :)

N.B. I am already thinking about a winter project: removal of wings, rub down, respray and polish, realignment of panels and replacement of sealant.

Question: any ideas on price range (I have a rough quote)?

Edited by Trigbush