TR6 for sale - help wanted

The top between body and wings should be sealed with flexible sealant, Dum Dum, and left clear of paint, otherwise cracks can't be avoided.

The clutch on early TR6's are very, very heavy. This clutch has probably replaced by a Sachs, as used in Saab Turbo. I got the same on my 6 and it,s as heavy as the original.

Depending on the chassis condition I think it will be hard to find a better car for this price.

The door gap is quite normal for a TR6, on my car it was at the top at least 1,5 cm when the car was new from factory. No one cared about it, we were in early 70th.

CP to CR is far less difference than people think, CP's on the Continent were given SEA horsepower and that's 145 hp and not 150 hp oas in UK.

Notice that many good CR specification cars have more HP than many CP's.

An update in case you are interested. We had the expertise done this morning. Bottom line - it's an honest car in very good condition. Additional inspection photos have been added here: http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Trigbush/library/1974%20TR6%20PI%20Inspection%20Photos.

More importantly, I have made an offer. Fingers crossed and let's see what happens.

Here is my high-level summary of this morning’s inspection:

1. The car is in very good condition. Excellent stewardship over the last 22 years has meant that the car is extremely well-preserved.
  2. The restoration that was undertaken in 1991 appears to have been very well done, with some welding and repair work to ensure the car’s future. There does not appear to be any accident damage.
  3. The chassis is solid, the body work is robust and the whole appears to be rust-free as noted before.
  4. The steering, the tyres, the brakes, the suspension are all fairly new. The front axle is new and solid. The rear axle has some play but is acceptable for a car of its type and age.
  5. However, when the sills were replaced and welded, they could have been refitted in a better position, but this is a minor point; however the vertical gap in the sill should be refilled with a new sealant. Equally, as noted before, the sealant between the wings and the body panels could have been done better (it has since cracked) but this is not a major issue, but the cracked sealant could be removed and replaced with a wax. The expert has recommended an anti-rust treatment for the inside rear wings, and the insertion of pipes for drainage in the inside front wings to reduce/eliminate the potential for moisture problems.
  6. When the underside preparation was applied this was done without due care and attention so some of the preparation was also accidentally applied onto the sills, and this should be removed. It’s more aesthetic than anything.
  7. The front bumper appears to be slightly lower on the right hand side but this is not a major issue. There is a small corrosion issue in the engine bay as noted before.
  8. Of the four wheels, the front right wheel shows some “wobble” suggesting it is slightly warped and the recommendation is for this to be swapped onto the rear right. The rear left also has some play but this is much less remarked.
  9. The engine has been maintained well and whilst there appears to a very minor escape of oil from the front plate this is not unusual with a TR6 of that age. The seller has receipts documenting a significant amount of work on the engine in the past. The car will need a delivery service.
  10. The clutch has a heaviness as noted before that may be explained by a slave cylinder of the incorrect diameter having been fitted but this is a low cost fix.
  11. The exhaust, whilst not new, is solid and in good shape.
  12. The interior shows some signs of wear and tear but this is not unusual for a car of its age. There is an evident issue with the driver’s side window but this appears to be fixable with some 1-3 hours work and parts.

Of the issues that have been identified I think I would likely want the following to be addressed:

1. The wheel changes described above should be done.
  2. The corrosion in the engine bay under the brake fluid filler cap should be removed and the area prepared.
  3. The slave cylinder for the clutch should be replaced.
  4. The driver’s side window needs to be repaired.
  5. A delivery service needs to be done.

Have a very good weekend all!

Just an update as I realised that this thread has been viewed more than 2,500 times.

It´s a great day - we have a deal - the '6 is mine! Bloody brilliant. :D

I just need to organise the sale and transfer, and the registration on the Belgian registry, which I know can be a hassle. :unsure: Thankfully the garage that did the expertise (and who will do the work I have identified) will help with the process. If any one has any advice on importing a car into Belgium (e.g. from the Netherlands) I would be grateful.

Have a great day everyone. Cheers!

What is this luggage-rack thing about?

Its not as if the TR boot is small. And you got space behind the seats.

You will at least spoil the paint job, probably wind up bending the boot-lid.

And when you come to wash the car?

Of course somebody will turn up on here and tell us that its the best thing since sliced-bread

and its saved their life at least once.

Don't like sliced-bread either.

Its interesting that two cars had paint damaged by hydraulic leakage.

Now we all know that this is a problem. Worth reading the topic to find that out.

Al.

Of course somebody will turn up on here and tell us that its the best thing since sliced-bread

Now we all know that this is a problem. Worth reading the topic to find that out.

Al.

Al.

Just to keep you happy, i have a Amco s/s boot rack on my six and its the best thing since sliced bread,

and its saved my life at least once. :)

DSC00992.jpg

Its been on the car 20 years and was fitted because at that time i was commuting between University and" The Rock"

Computer equipment was as small as it it these days, wha with clothes etc etc, my Tr6 was fully loaded up.

I still use it on European trips if i am accompanied.

Would i fit one these days as i am mainly on my todd, probably not.

Congrats Trigbush on your purchase.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Welcome to the club Trigbush !

I've just been for a 30 mile blast in my '6, marvelous even if its a bit cold here still.

Steve

Al.

Ah but if you get some very large slices of Toast it will not only be the best thing since sliced bread it will also be a great toast rack !!

I will now get my medication coat

Alan

Very nice to hear that you got a deal. I suppose the garage you speak about is Red baron. Importing a car into Belgium can be easy going, but it can be a hassle too.

It took me 6 month yo register my 6 in Belgium from the Netherlands, and the car was built in Belgium. Hope yours is doing it faster, just depends on the person in the administration you meet.

You probably need a import declaration first

Could we now have a first -_- name please....

Thanks Jean.

I am not surprised that it took six months to import the car to BE from NL. I just hope it will not take that long in my case.

We are off to the RDW in Esloo today to de-register the car from the Dutch register.I will need to go past the customs house to get the import declaration. I have also applied to the British Motor Heritage Trust for my Heritage Certificate. Once we have that we will organise the paper check at the Control Technique, which I understand is the real hassle. I am waiting to hear back from Pascal Quirynen on the insurance through the BE TR6 Club (I already have an offer from Fortis). Jean - if you have any practical guidance or tips please let me know.

You are right in that I am working with Red Baron Garage near the BE/NL border. I can seriously recommend them if anyone is in or breaks down in the area. Jo Willems appears to know everything there is about TRs and I think he gave a very solid and thorough expertise. I am liaising with Rolf on the transfer. I have also asked him to do the preparation/service work on the car. I have some photos of their workshop which is impressive and full.

I think I may keep this thread going to catalogue the next steps...unless anyone objects of course.

Cheers

Gavin

Okay folks. I have had a constructive day.

I went to Elsloo in NL to meet the seller where we de-registered the car from the Dutch Registry. Amazingly, it was (a free and (b quick. There were three or four Dutch caravanners in there at the time applying for plates for their moveable roadblocking equipment. It occurred to me that the Dutch vehicle office probably witnesses some "peak" days when caravan applications are at their thickest which could be an opportunity...anyway I digress...

After the Elsloo office I thanked the PO once again. He's really a lovely chap and he got me to promise to send him photos of the car. He gave me a great bundle of documents for the car, which was fabulous - in the bundle were

- original bill of sale to the first owner Mr Louis Megens dated 1 April 1975 for the princely sum of 240,500 Belgian francs,

- original certificate of conformity/registration papers dated from 1975,

- laminated original British Leyland passport from Huygens garage in BE with stamps and dates for the first eleven services,

- original French language "manuel d'entretien" for the TR6 which has been well-thumbed,

- a second certificate of conformity dated 18 April 1987,

- thirty to forty bills of maintenance from the original owner, the second owner and the seller,

- polaroids (!) of the restoration work done in 1991,

Great to have all these records as well as the car.

It was a sad moment, standing by the curb with the PO. He exhaled and said "22 years!". I did not go into this purchase lightly, it is a big responsibility, but for some reason it seems bigger this evening. I felt somewhat privileged that he has let me take the car off his hands and I will continue his good work.

I next went to the Belgian tax office "Douanekantoor" in Genk. If you want to recall what East Germany used to be like prior to 1989 I highly recommend it. It is located on a bleak industrial trading estate on the edge of Genk. A low rise concrete block of little distinction. A simple sign says "Douane". Inside, a dark corridor leads you round the building to find a small office. There, sits the happy official of the federal fiscal authority, leafing through the local paper and listening to the local radio. Fifty-something, she is wearing a blue uniform shirt, a blue knee-length skirt with black knee-height boots, reading glasses and a faux black leather Alice band. When I greet her, she replies in Dutch. I say "English?", she says "Nej". I say "Francais?" (another official language of the federal authorities), and she says "nej". So we do it in Dutch. Mostly with me nodding.

She points to my identity card and says "Douanekantoor Brussel". This is because I live in Brussels and she wants me to take my business away and do it elsewhere. I say "Douanekantoor Genk...here". She stares at me for about 30 seconds. Then sighs, and starts preparing the papers. But she is efficient, well-organised and works silently. I pray that no issues arise. I temper my nerves by texting my GF about the Alice band. In ten minutes, I have the BE import declaration papers I need, stamped and signed. I flash her my biggest smile and say "prettig weekend" and dash out of there. The Audi was running within 5 seconds and I did not hang around.

Finally, I passed by the guys at Red Baron Garage for a chat and to discuss next steps. From what I understand we need to (and I hope this may be of help to others):

- wait for the certificate of heritage from the British Motor Heritage Trust already ordered,

- then get the Red Baron boys to pick my '6 up from the seller's garage, stick some garage plates on it, give it a service, and take it and the papers to the controle technique,

- the control technique has two parts (a a paper process to verify the car's authenticity and (b a technical inspection,

- generally the paper process can take time depending on which inspector we get, but I hope with the historical papers I have, and the heritage certificate this process will be easier than not but let's see,

- interestingly, my man Rolf tells me that it is not unheard of to get both (a and (b done at the same time if you are lucky (I am not holding my breath),

- finally, once this is all achieved, I will be able to apply to the DIV for my new plates. They will be sent to me by post and I have to deliver them to the Red Baron,

- who will hopefully have done the rust-proofing and other bits of work I need doing to the car. Then I can start motoring like a cockney.

That's the theory but let's see what happens. I am a big zen Buddha at the moment. It's easy when the weather is bad but as we get (hopefully) towards Spring, it will be harder.

Have a great weekend all,

Gavin

Edited by Trigbush

Gavin, you have done an exellent work, I must admit you know your way better around Belgium than myself. This month I can celebrate 40 years of ownership of my TR6.

With concern to Red Baron I have very good connections with Jo Willems and Rolf. At the time being I' m in S of France performing some work in my flat , but forward the best regards to the chaps from Jean. I did spend a lot of time with them when I rebuilt my TR3 in their garage during almost 3 years. Most work on my cars I do in their garage, pending space available.

Pascal is a fine guy and a total TR enthusiast, you might know that he owns the ex Ken Richardson TR2, OVC... He is best positioned to fix you a good insurance at the best rate. My cars, old and new, are all insured with Ethias, but they only allow limited cover for classic cars,

If you have the possibilityjust drop by in Spa, and , or Jabbeke end of of may. Quite a few people from the forum will be present there. Hope to meet you when I'm back in Belgium.

And I thought I had it hard !

Having to fly to the UK, pick up the beast, and drive back to Ireland ;)

It will be awesome when you have her parked at yours, and ready for a drive whenever you like ;)

Well done, and more steps nearer the day above..

Kevin

Edited by keving

Many thanks Kevin and Jean. Nice to get the encouragement.

Jean - many congratulations on your 40 years of TR ownership! I will pass on your best regards to the Red Baron boys. It would be very nice to meet you. Unfortunately, and annoyingly, I will not be able to make either Spa or Jabbeke this year as we are in California for a wedding in Santa Monica at that time. I had really hoped to join but the dates just don't work. <_<

Cheers

Gavin

Edited by Trigbush

Okay. So confusion reigns.

After being told that I need a heritage certificate, and ordering one from the BHMT for the sum of £55, I was told today by the same person who told me I need one that I don't need one and that "the rules have changed in the last couple of weeks". Hmm. This was illicited only once I was told that i dont need one by the insurance courtier Pascal mentioned above. He said that having the PO's Dutch papers should be enough.

Had he not mentioned it I would have sat tight waiting the two or three weeks for the certificate to turn up so thank you Pascal. He also gave me a great quote for the insurance (third party plus judicial protection just over 100 euros - I will likely upgrade to fully comp).

So now it seems I need to put some gentle pressure on the garage to see if they can slot my car in for a service and the control technique in the next week or two. I know they are super busy so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Okay.

A further update as we inch towards pressing the ignition button...

1. After scanning and sending my documents to Pascal the insurance guy, he confirms that I have enough paperwork to proceed to apply for my own BE plates with the DIV. I already have the necessary pink form for this “aanvraag tot inschrijving van een voertuig”. He tells me I need an insurance etiquette (sticker) from him to be applied to the form. Finally, I also need to pass by the controle technique and get them to stamp the form. With these two pieces, the pink form is complete and can be submitted to the DIV for the number plates.

2. It seems that a heritage certificate is not required. I understand this is because I have sufficient paperwork from when the car was previously registered in Belgium to avoid a lengthy paper process with the DIV. Out of caution, I went to the DIV this morning, and waited for about an hour to have the question answered, and the official behind the counter confirmed that this is correct.

3. So, now the questions remain, how to get (i) the insurance sticker and (ii) the controle technique done.

4. On (i), I have written to Pascal and I suspect it will involve me hoovering up to Braaschat in the Audi to get the sticker applied.

5. On (ii), we have a dilemma as my man Rolf is on holiday/fully booked until 26 April!! Normally, I would ask him to go and pick up the car and take it to the controle technique with garage plates on it. I just don't want to wait 23 days for this to happen though. I have emailed the PO to see if there is a solution (e.g. can he take the car on his Dutch plates to the control centre just over the Belgian border?). I would welcome any creative suggestions. Let's see...

Below is a little more detail on the experience at the DIV.

Anyway, last week I travelled back in time to pre-1989 East Germany. Today, I travelled back in time to a Kafka-esque scene at the DIV. It's federal government building in downtown Brussels. When you walk in you are greeted by the Securitas guard who invites you to press a button on a machine that gives you a ticket (after selecting French or Dutch). My print-out read "0189". I looked up and the screen read "4583".

I then sat down on the end of a long row of fixed chairs amongst what is normally termed "all manner of humanity". A small boy next to me stared at me for approximately 25 minutes (well it was sufficiently long enough that I was tempted to call Norris McWhirter's friends).

In front of me there were approximately 14 counters (guichets). Only 7 were attended. There were another fifty people waiting. All eyes were fixed upon the screen.

After a while the number changed. Not to "4584" but to "889" and I suddenly worried that the screen is an IQ test and I only get served if I can work out the correlation between the numbers. After 15 minutes or so, it became clear that there are approximately four number sequences being applied for different services (e.g. registration, deregistration, return of plates, commercial vehicles, etc). The sequence with "889" appeared to be moving quickest. Eventually, a "0171" pops up and I realised that there is only one guichet dealing with this number sequence (i.e. registrations) and that my fate is 18 slots of approximately 20 minutes away. That's potentially six hours.

I smiled to myself and thought about the first six hours of driving my six in the sunshine in the countryside. And then the IT system went down, and all hell broke loose. One of the officials shouted that the office was closing. There was a mad rush to the counter by all of humanity. An angry man on the right shouted that people should be rushing forward in the number sequence they had been given. A big debate ensued. In part in French, in part in Arabic. There were a lot of shouts. A Dutch speaking man appeared at the head of the queue, apparently the only one.

Finally, I got to the guichet and explained in French, with some English, my position. I had a large audience, standing right behind me. It fell quiet when I had to explain a technical point in English. All ears were on me, and there was a murmur of disapproval. Finally, when I had finished, and the official confirmed the answers, there was a murmur of approval. Very bizarre.

I left quickly, but sound in the knowledge that I appear to be on the right path. Only time will tell...stay tuned if you are interested.

Cheers

Edited by Trigbush