TR6 for sale - help wanted

Trig, Having looked at the photos It looks like a good buy. Sure there is a little bit of stuff to address but overall - looks grand! The fact that it's solid makes a massive difference. It's a little difficult to judge whether it's a good buy without knowing the price but far better than some of the examples I have seen. Sometimes you have to take a chance! Bonne chance! Andy

The door gaps are all wrong. The question is why?

I would guess this has had a body-off resto and the rear wings are replacements. And they just have not been put back right.

I think Alan you are right. I have been discussing this with a friend and we think that there has been some panel replacement and the put-together has not been done very well. Thanks for your comments.

Trig, Having looked at the photos It looks like a good buy. Sure there is a little bit of stuff to address but overall - looks grand! The fact that it's solid makes a massive difference. It's a little difficult to judge whether it's a good buy without knowing the price but far better than some of the examples I have seen. Sometimes you have to take a chance! Bonne chance! Andy

Thanks Andy. I think the body and the chassis is solid. I am a little concerned about the door panels. I have it on option for Euro 14k. Cheers

Trig

Look very carefully at the Right hand rear trailing arm and its mountings, the wheel angle does not look right, if facxt it looks very wrong maybe a collapsed/short spring or a bushing issue or the chassis being rusty or bent at the trailing arm mounting point. I would not want to drive it any distance before I knew the cause. The mounting point for the trailing arms are a weak point on the IRS cars.

Alan

Trig, If the trailing arm has failed or that part of the chassis the easy check is to jack up that corner of the car any problems will be fairly obvious especially any movement. This probably doesn't help but I sold a TR6 to a friend on the website for around the same price, 73 CF model on su's I had an e mail from him last month it sailed through the CT (2yrs after buying) and he was very pleased and still is but the car was in better condition than the one you are looking at when he got it. So it does pay to buy the best condition you can. That said if you are handy you can do almost anything on these yourself. Must it be a LHD one?

But... if it doesn't feel right walk away there are other ones out there. Difficult isn't it........

Andy

So it does pay to buy the best condition you can. That said if you are handy you can do almost anything on these yourself. Must it be a LHD one?

But... if it doesn't feel right walk away there are other ones out there. Difficult isn't it........

Andy

Thanks Andy. It is really tough. I think it is a combination of the door panel issues, the rear wheel alignment and the overall wear and tear that suggests that this is perhaps not a sensible buy...at that price. All in all, these things are usually fixable - but in my heart of hearts I want it to be near perfect. Of course, this means paying a premium...so...

Luckily I have another option in mind...

Cheers

Too much in my opinion considering the issues (some possible ones) outlined. Would think you'd get a cracking UK RHD car for that. But maybe not what your after ??

As I learnt when looking for mine, patience, patience, patience.

Hard though when you have a test drive and feel and hear a 6 ;)

IM not sure how TR prices fare on the continent. But I would definitely not pay 14K Euros for that car (especially with the forex. rate). If one was buying a TR6 in this country for around 12k GBP you'd be looking for a car that was well loved top to bottom, a nice engine bay, a decent mohair hood and a few modern touches (elec ignition, alarm, immob etc).

Thats my opinion, as I said im not sure of classic prices on the continent.

IM not sure how TR prices fare on the continent. But I would definitely not pay 14K Euros for that car (especially with the forex. rate). If one was buying a TR6 in this country for around 12k GBP you'd be looking for a car that was well loved top to bottom, a nice engine bay, a decent mohair hood and a few modern touches (elec ignition, alarm, immob etc).

Thats my opinion, as I said im not sure of classic prices on the continent.

Thanks tjs. I agree. I think the car is overpriced and has a number of as yet undefined issues (rear right wheel, door alignment, general wear and tear). But see the next post...

So, as you can see, I have built up a head of steam this week and with spring on the horizon, have started visiting some of the cars I have found at various dealers. Today, I saw a 1972 white TR6 PI. It's in much better condition than the one I saw yesterday. Although it needs a new hood, has odd fog lights that need to be removed, does not have a luggage rack, and needs a good service, it is a very fast 150bhp PI. No panel issues, no rust on the body work and a decent trim. Wire wheels and headlamp covers are a nice touch. It has had approximately 4k worth of work on it recently. Seller wants 21k euros - so a significant uplift on yesterdays car. Photos here http://s1300.beta.photobucket.com/user/Trigbush/library/1972%20TR6%20Inspection%20photos

I was puzzled because under the wheel arches and sills, it was totally clean, almost like new steel plates (and no black bitumen finish) which suggests a recent restoration. I was not able to get underneath it properly. I would welcome any comments on the photos. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it, have a great weekend all.

Cheers

Edited by Trigbush

From the photos it is clear that its has a later body tub (plastic air vent top) and the interior is all post '72 (chrome bezels on the guages, late dashboard, & seats) except the doors. They have even put he BL badges on the wings. My guess is that the only thing about it from '72 is the Commission Plate.

Too much gudge (gunge) on the chassis for my liking.

€21k I wouldn't!

Edited by Ragtag

Trig Would you like me to contact the guy who bought my Blue LHD 6? Marc is his name. lives in France near Paris and I think he is thinking of selling it. I know that you would be pleased with that car. Andy

Trig Would you like me to contact the guy who bought my Blue LHD 6? Marc is his name. lives in France near Paris and I think he is thinking of selling it. I know that you would be pleased with that car. Andy

Yes please Andy. Much appreciated. Do you have any photos you can PM me?

Cheers

So, I went to see another '6 this morning. It is the third car I have looked at in detail in four days (well, actually it is the ninth '6 I have seen in four days, the sixth I have turned the keys on but only the third that I have been interested in purchasing).

It is a 1971 TR6 restored about ten years ago. It is owned by a really nice guy, a member of the Belgian TR club, who has owned it for seven years and really shown it some TLC. He has been servicing annually, and recently replaced a number of parts including alternator, radiator, fuel pump, etc and has receipts and expenses. Unbelievably, he has 20 years of service history papers for the car.

He told me it is a 125bhp version with Stromberg carbs and overdrive. However, the plate indicates that it is a CC model and so it must be the 104bhp version. It has only done 13,000 in the last seven years so has been used and maintained with love. Photos from the visit can be seen here: http://s1300.beta.photobucket.com/user/Trigbush/library/1971%20TR6%20Inspection%20Photos

Three immediate (but small) comments:

- the paint scheme is not an original colour (the plaque indicates that it was once (17) Damson Red, but the restoration involved a full body respray into something called "Sebring White"),

- there is evidence of one or two brake fluid spills in the engine bay, which has corroded the corner of the tub, and

- whilst the chassis and the body appear to be rust-free and solid, there is a small rust line under the boot lid, some minor bubbling on the top of the chrome rear lights, and a very small rust line in the corner seam under the rear left fender. I also found a small amount of superficial discolouration under the carpet on the passenger floor panel.

Despite these comments, I would say that it is the best conditioned and seemingly original/correctly presented car I have seen so far. I would appreciate any comments that any one has.

Edited by Trigbush

Can you get a picture of the ID plate riveted to the front left hand wheel arch on the top as it may indicate where the car was originally supplied to. It looks like the California import plate. In which case you may have a good chance of it being pretty rot free to start with.Doesnt seem to be any sign of the original colour anywhere does there?

Stuart.

Hi trig that's in good condition, best one yet! Andy

Just confirmed a meeting in the Netherlands on Sunday to see another '6. It's a Mechelen produced PI (CP) car with original hard top as optional.

Good news is that the chap who is selling it (member of the Dutch club) has owned it for 21 years and it has been tuned and regularly serviced by a garage in Belgium that is listed in the TR Register European Breakdown Directory. I have separately asked them to give me an expertise if the inspection on Sunday goes well. I will post a link to photobucket when I get back. Cannot wait. :)

In the meantime, I had to limit my purchase to this

Edited by Trigbush

Okay, for those of you who are interested, I just got back from another '6 visit.

The owner is an extremely nice guy (as mentioned above a member of the Dutch TR club) who has owned the car for the past 21 years and regularly serviced and maintained it. He is a petrolhead and clearly knows his stuff about cars. Interestingly, the car was restored by the previous owner after only 16 years, so in ~1991. It's got very few kilometres on the clock for a car of that age.

I had thought it was a CP car, but it turns out to be a 1975? CR car (i.e. 125 bhp PI) but with matching plates. It has overdrive, though the owner told me this does take some 4-5 seconds to kick in (and was proved true on the test drive).

Overall, the body and chassis appears to be in very solid condition, and has probably been helped by the fact the restoration included a relatively thorough bitumen underside preparation on the chassis.

The ride was was good, the sound was fantastic and it was a joy. The clutch is very hard, the owner admitted this upfront and confessed he did not know why (and several investigations have not found the root cause). It requires a strong left leg! Nevertheless, I think I can get used to this, as someone who has played rugby and stood-up in enough bars over enough time.

There are (as always) a small number of issues (e.g. the interior is quite tired with a split in driver's seat, there is evidence of an old brake fluid spill in the corner of the engine bay, there were two odd 2cm purpose-made slits cut into the top of either end of the air manifold assembly (see photos), some cracking of the filler used in the joint between the body and the rear wing top edges) but the car appears to be an extremely well-preserved restoration. There is a very minor door alignment issue from when the doors were re-hung but this is not a big issue. I have lined up an expertise to look at the car.

Anyway, I was not able to take as good pictures this time. Perhaps at the inspection I will be able to take better close-ups and underside pictures. Bottom line, this is the best option/reasonably priced car I have seen so far. Photos from the inspection are linked here: http://s1300.beta.photobucket.com/user/Trigbush/library/1975%20TR6%20PI%20Inspection%20Photos

Any comments welcome as always!

Cheers