Fuel Pump - cleaning glass sediment bowl

Started to do this for the first time ever today and was a little alarmed when, having loosened the stirrup nut, petrol started pouring onto the floor. Time to stop and consult the forum, I thought. Is this normal and does it stop after a short while? If not, am I meant to close the fuel line in some way first ? Grateful for any insights from anyone who has managed to carry out this operation successfully.

Yes - it stops after a while - when the level in the fuel tank

drops below the level of the petrol pump.

Jacking up the front of the car

and doing it when there is not so much fuel in the tank -

helps.

AlanR

One of Triumph's 'improvements' in moving from TR3A to TR4, was to eliminate the fuel cut-off valve just forward of the bulkhead.

It's a very good idea to obtain a modern cut-off valve and install it at this point.

As Alan says, jack up the front of the car to a decent height - if the tank is less than half full, that should stop the flow! If the tank is full, siphon out as much fuel as you can, but be careful not to swallow any of it.

Unfortunately, there were even more 'improvements' in the move from TR4 to TR4A, but I'll refrain from listing them here!

Ian Cornish

I would clamp the flex feed hose to the pump with a brake hose clamp or pair of mole grips with rag protection between the grips and the hose.

Do not do it on wire braided petroflex or the hose will end up squashed and will not flow fuel properly again.

Cheers

Peter W.

Alternative to jacking the rear or if you have too much fuel in the tank, is to pull the flexible hose from the pump and stuff a screwdriver in to block the fuel flow. For a slightly more professional approach, I always carry a brake hose clamp (about £5 in Halfords) in case of fuel problems away from home.

I would clamp the flex feed hose to the pump with a brake hose clamp or pair of mole grips with rag protection between the grips and the hose.

Do not do it on wire braided petroflex or the hose will end up squashed and will not flow fuel properly again.

Cheers

Peter W.

... Or put a torx/phillips screw driver point into the flex hose and clamp that with a hose clamp. That way, you will not squash the hose with the clamp.

And the tap, one like this will do. It's a Weber product

P1020355.jpg

P1020381-2.jpg

Worth using a mirror or feel with your finger to check the state of the gasket that seals the bowl to the pump body. I recently discovered that mine was falling to bits and probably contributed half the rubbish I removed from the bowl.

Steve

A handy little anti-theft device, too. Car would start and go a few hundred yards before 'breaking down' and being hastily abandoned.

Where do you get those little taps?

A handy little anti-theft device, too. Car would start and go a few hundred yards before 'breaking down' and being hastily abandoned.

Where do you get those little taps?

I bought mine on a Dutch Rally Sport & Tuning website. http://www.biesheuvel.nl/group/86/carburateurs___accessoires But, as said, they are from Weber Carb. So, I think they can be found in difference places. I have no part#, but I'll have a look tomorrow.

Menno

EDIT: Found one in the UK! http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/motorsport-fuel-cut--shut-off-tap-metal-handle-6mm-8mm-or-10mm-1953-p.asp

Edited by Menno van Rij

Menno,

Every time I see your photo of this setup I remember it's still on my 'To Do' list. Which fuel filter are you using? When I had my car tuned by Peter Baldwin on a rolling-road, the plastic fuel filter on the feed to the pump was found to be collapsing, mainly due to softening by fuel because I hadn't changed it for 4 years - well, it wasn't dirty! However, Peter said that this often happens with electric pumps. Although the mechanical AC pump doesn't suck that hard, since it has the mesh filter built in, it's safer to remove the filter from the feed and fit one on the carb side if necessary. I've been running without a filter since then although I am undecided as to whether to fit a metal or glass filter in the feed, as I don't like having a filter near the carbs after what happened to Lynda's TR4A. The alternative is to fit it low down nearer the pump and modify the solid fuel line routing.