Blyton Park Sprint Test Day - just £40 / car

Just in case anyone missed the more cryptic posting on the main forum yesterday.

Regards Kev

The organisers of The Revington TR / TR Register Sprint and Hillclimb Championship are running a Sprint Test Day at Blyton Park, Lincolnshire on Monday 3 June 2013. http://www.blytonpark.co.uk/

This event is open to any Standard or Triumph car or derivative as is our Championship.

This means you can run in our Championship or this test day with a car in any state of tune from a road car to fully modified. So if you like driving your Standard or Triumph you'll be most welcome. This is not a day for Jags, Porkers, Caterhams or TVRs, but we'd love to see Spits, GT6s, Dollies, Stags etc out there doing their stuff alongside the TRs.

Blyton Park is an old WWII airfield where they have cut a smooth black ribbon of fresh tarmac 7 metres wide into the old RAF surface. The result is a super smooth, fast and flowing 1.4 mile sprint course defined by white lines and the new black tarmac. The main circuit is 1.5 miles. There’s a new large clubhouse, kitchen, toilets, showers and briefing room.

Spectators can see 95% of the course from a raised and very safe bank. We’ve negotiated free tea and coffee all day long and the circuit will provide catering facilities offering full breakfasts, salads, burgers, chips, jacket potatoes and baguettes plus the usual chocolate type snacks.

Some of us think that sprinting and hillclimbing is even more fun when you share your car with another. So to encourage you to bring your son / daughter / partner / mates along, we’ve set the cost at just £40 / car. Yes, that’s right just £40 per car, not per driver. So how will your nerves hold up as they push your car to its limits?

The track will open at 9.00am and close at 5.00pm. There will be a short driver briefing on the hour, every hour – so you can turn up whenever you want. Your £40 will include free helmet hire if you need to borrow one (wearing one will be compulsory), free tea and coffee all day long and unlimited track time (subject to three cars being on the track at any one time – one starting, one finishing and one mid way round). There will be a maximum number of 50 cars, so please book early.

In terms of safety we will have first aid, fire and recovery. You will be required to wear a crash helmet and cover all bare flesh, ie no shorts or t-shirts whilst driving and the driver must wear gloves. It will not be run as a track day but the same level of scrutineering will apply, ie none. You will run at your own risk and will need to sign the track disclaimer. That said, there are no nasty kerbs and plenty of runoff areas if you do get out of sorts.

The purpose of this test day is very simple – to encourage you to get even more enjoyment from your car. Anyone with a Standard
or Triumph car can have a go at sprinting. And if you think that sprinting and hillclimbing just might be your thing, then there will be plenty of competitors there to offer advice and help of the finer details.

Too far to travel? Then book yourself into the White Swan at Scotter, just north of Blyton for the Sunday evening. If you quote the TR Register when booking you'll get £10 off the normal room rate for single occupancy plus a cooked breakfast. Rooms available from £45 www.whiteswanscotter.com

To book your place, simply go to the TR Register shop website at tr-registershop.co.uk/

" In terms of safety we will have first aid, fire and recovery. You will be required to wear a crash helmet and cover all bare flesh, ie no shorts or t-shirts whilst driving and the driver must wear gloves. It will not be run as a track day but the same level of scrutineering will apply, ie none. You will run at your own risk and will need to sign the track disclaimer. That said, there are no nasty kerbs and plenty of runoff areas if you do get out of sorts."

I thought the TR Register had learned back in the latter 70s that non-competitive practice days are potentially a great deal more hazardous than competitive sprint or hillclimb events. Lessons learned the hard way . . . . . as relatively inexperienced participants and relatively unprepared cars occasionally exceeded the limits of common sense, or sheer bad luck played a part.

The idea that any sort of disclaimer is going to hold water if someone does themselves, or anyone else, a terminal damage . . . . really is self delusion. If a fatality or life changing incident occurs, the organisers will get hit for every penny they possess. Rightly so.

At the very least implement some form of basic safety scrutineering, employing an MSA scrutineer for the purpose, and insist on the usual basic safety provisions for car and driver alike.

Fire safety and medical cover needs to be at least to speed event standard, and preferably better - simply because the risks are greater.

That's what the Blue Book is for.

But then, maybe old lessons need to be relearned the hard way occasionally ?

Cheers

Alec

" In terms of safety we will have first aid, fire and recovery. You will be required to wear a crash helmet and cover all bare flesh, ie no shorts or t-shirts whilst driving and the driver must wear gloves. It will not be run as a track day but the same level of scrutineering will apply, ie none. You will run at your own risk and will need to sign the track disclaimer. That said, there are no nasty kerbs and plenty of runoff areas if you do get out of sorts."

I thought the TR Register had learned back in the latter 70s that non-competitive practice days are potentially a great deal more hazardous than competitive sprint or hillclimb events. Lessons learned the hard way . . . . . as relatively inexperienced participants and relatively unprepared cars occasionally exceeded the limits of common sense, or sheer bad luck played a part.

The idea that any sort of disclaimer is going to hold water if someone does themselves, or anyone else, a terminal damage . . . . really is self delusion. If a fatality or life changing incident occurs, the organisers will get hit for every penny they possess. Rightly so.

At the very least implement some form of basic safety scrutineering, employing an MSA scrutineer for the purpose, and insist on the usual basic safety provisions for car and driver alike.

Fire safety and medical cover needs to be at least to speed event standard, and preferably better - simply because the risks are greater.

That's what the Blue Book is for.

But then, maybe old lessons need to be relearned the hard way occasionally ?

Cheers

Alec

Alec

If it is not timed does that make it clear of the blue book? :(

Why would anyone wish it clear of the Blue Book ? The Blue Book is there to protect fools from themselves.

From Section B, Nomenclature and Definitions

Practising/Training Event. An event organised for the purpose of enabling Drivers to gain experience of their vehicles.

To qualify as a practising/training event there must be no element of Competition, no awards, times may be recorded but not published and cars may not be started simultaneously.

There may be no revenue other than from entry fees.

1976 the Register learned the necessities of doing it by the book, the first Goodwood Practice Day was followed by an RAC Tribunal . . . .

Thereafter yours truly and the late Dave Wilson were persuaded to take it forward - the RAC accepted us two, even if the Register itself was out of favour.

So we revised the Practice Day format, pretty much rewrote the RAC guidelines for such an event - that was Les Needham of the RAC, Dr Rob McGhie our Medical Officer and RAC Steward, Major Bendall the RAC Scrutineer; Dave Wilson, Ian May and myself for the Register.

Some folks thought the approach was well OTT, pukka safety regime in place just as if it was a Sprint.

Two major incidents later, no blighter still thought that way, and the chaps involved were bloody grateful to be more or less in one piece and alive, even if that was more than could be said for their cars. We preferred foresight to hindsight - that a Practice Day could be at least as dangerous as a Sprint, and probably more so, seemed self-evident.

Organise an event properly via the MSA route and all concerned are protected by the MSA - just as we were 36 years ago by the RAC, as it was then.

Cheers

Alec

Alec

Not me as you know,Indeed an old friend of mine was here the other day and he was a cat 1 Fia/Msa Scrutineer including F1, and he also had doubts when I showed him this event.The liability must end somewhere?

Edited by ntc

Well having tested tr's at blyton I can happily say what a safe track it is. Huge run off areas, very well run and a cracking track!!!!

Myself and Steve will be there with a tr of some sort

:)

Tom

Hi Tom,

it's not a track, any track, that's safe or otherwise . . . . no such thing as a safe track.

It's the nut behind the wheel and his car . . . . that's the problem.

As an organiser catering for relative novices, you have to take into account the idiot factor. Then everyone can enjoy themselves in relative safety, bearing in mind that motorsport is dangerous, as the old warning goes.

Cheers

Alec

Alec,

Totally agree with what you say, fingers crossed they can resolve the issue and we can all enjoy our day in the TR's!

Tom

Well done Kevin, and thank you for the personal email.

A couple of correspondents have taken me to task by email this morning, suggesting that this is poking my nose in where it isn't wanted, pissing on someone else's parade . . . . . Sorry chaps, but it is nothing of the sort.

Our motor sporting enjoyments are regulated by The Motor Vehicles (Competitions and Trials) Regulations 1969 (amended 1974, 1976, 1978,1982 and 1993),

and the Department of Transport appoints the MSA as authorising agency under the terms of the Act. The MSA supervisory role extends to a wider range of motoring events than just motor sport as such, and the MSA is comprised of the overwhelming majority of motor clubs.

Please see http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=206

MSA authorisation and supervision is far removed from the nonsensical realms of OTT H&S paraphenalia. It's all about mutually agreed common sense provision to minimise acceptable risk and maximise enjoyment for spectators, competitors, participants and spectators alike. Generally speaking, it works very well indeed as it has done for many decades.

The TR Register inadvertently transgressed in its early days, and ever since has been a model of sensible event management within the requirements of the Blue Book, which is the MSA annual 'bible'. There is no good reason for the naive errors of long ago to be repeated, especially when the MSA is always there to ensure things run smoothly - 'can do, will do' fellow enthusiasts as opposed to 'can't, shan't, won't' sort of bureaucrats.

I'm sure Kevin and the TRR management team will be able to ensure that this excellent sounding event comes safely under the MSA umbrella, to the benefit of all concerned. Hopefully it will be a damn good day !

Cheers

Alec

Points well raised Alec, and very forthright Kevin with hopefully a satisfactory conclusion from your further organisational endeavours.

As Alec points out the TR Register has enjoyed an enviable safety record since after the very first faultering event which at least underlined just how careful these events have to be run and organised.

Everybody wants to use their TR "on the edge" and despite any protestations to the contrary in the clear light of day when the flag drops the cars will be used, to their limit,...and more importantly the limit of the driver.

Notwithstanding any absence of hard nasty objects to strike, or the tarmac running out onto grass (it has to end somwhere !) it is not unknown for a damp spot to dry and allow a difference in grip coefficient to a sideways sliding car causing it to roll, so much the worse for the slow motion aspect as the occupants are crushed.

In the scheme of things the "Blue Book" will outline where cars being used in competition should have their safety aspects improved to allow occupants a fighting chance of remaining alive when in an accident. My road cars are treated in the same way, why should I wish to be less safe when driving on the public highway ? Any improvement that is required to use your car in competition will pay you back on the roads, and I include a roll cage, good safety belts and my favoured rear cockpit Fire wall to prevent drowning in petrol and then burning in it as being what I should require.

As regards the organisational come backs as Alec points out any "signing away of your life" will merely cause amusement from the judiciary, and if you think " well I haven't any money to be sued for" well you possibly have other assets which may include your house...oh and maybe your TR.

I do hope that a solution can achieved to allow all the TR owners who attend I(and I hope lots do) to have a really enjoyable day in the knowledge that all is as safe as can be achieved, and with organisers who do not have their heart leap into their mouths everytime a tyre squeals on the track.

Mick Richards

• 4 weeks later...

Less than a dozen so far.

It'll be featured in TR Action on 8 April and then in Triumph World at the end of the month (April).

I'm close to sorting the scrutineering issue and then we'll have another push on the forum, through the group leaders and other Triumph clubs and sites.

Take care Kev

Kev,

Not signed up officially yet......

Do the entrants needs to be tr register members?

Kevin has been putting a great deal of effort into ensuring that this event can be raised up to an appropriate high standard of organisation and safety - rather than merely the track day norm, which in my view is very much minimalist down to a price.

Good work, and if all his efforts succeed the event will be well worthy of support. Reassuring to see that the attitudes of 35 years ago can be replicated by a younger generation, the TR Register has raised the bar for track practice events in the past, it can do so in the future.

Cheers,

Alec

I attended several of those TR Register Goodwood Sprints mid-Mayish around 1976-78.

Really enjoyable days out. I wasn't too interested in hurling my own TR round a track, but

llked watching other people doing so in cars that I could directly identify with.

Brisk drives down to Sussex from Cheltenham. Coffee, sarnies... Great.

Just one thing. Every time I went I always forgot how cold it could be on a windswept airfield

in May. Way the weather has been this year, might be an idea to wrap up warm, even come 3rd June.

Edited by amclpreston

I have booked, and am staying at the pub recommended by Kev, following what should be a great day at Harewood on the Sunday.

Nick

Kev,

Not signed up officially yet......

Do the entrants needs to be tr register members?

Stiggy,

No the entrants for the test day do not need to be TR Register members. However, the car must be a Standard or Triumph and so be eligible for the Championship. Our objective is to get more people, in more Triumphs and Standards, out there competing on the hills and circuits.

Of course, if it works and you and your mates / family do get hooked, then to compete in The Revington TR / TR Register Sprint and Hillclimb Championship you will need to join the TR Register.

I look forward to seeing you at Blyton Park on Monday 3rd June. It'll be £40 well spent.

Take care Kev

With TR Action due to start dropping on our doormats tomorrow, I thought it time to update everyone on progress.

Following what turned out to be a series of emails, texts and phone conversations I'm pleased to announce that we will have two MSA scruitineers on hand at the Blyton Park sprint test day on Monday 3rd June.

Paul Johnson, Neil's, now retired from scrutineering, friend is happy with the arrangements made and may well pop across on the day if the weather is fine.

With TR Action out I would expect several more TRs to book.

Triumph World carries the story towards the end of the month along with some of the other Triumph club magazines, so whilst you may have a couple of weeks to decide whether or not to attend, I wouldn't leave it too long to book.

This event is not part of our championship, but rather a day for those with an interest in motorsport to come along and enjoy using their car on the track. Our aim is for you to have fun and enjoy your car whilst keeping you, and others, safe.

I look forward to meeting you at Blyton Park.

Kev

PS if you do want to come along as a spectator only, please PM me so I can let the track know. And yes it can be cold on the airfield even on a warmish day so be prepared..

Good news Kev, does the presence of the two scrutineers mean that the cars have to comply with Blue Book ?

Mick Richards

Mick,

No, not for this untimed event. Wearing a helmet is mandatory (and available to "hire" for free). Also no bare flesh whilst driving, ie no shorts or t-shirts..

However, if the car owner wishes to know, the chaps will take their time and go over the car with the owner pointing out what needs to be done to bring it up to competition standard. A personal step by step guide if you like.

The point of this day is to bring new people into the sport and the MSA and scrutineers know the bulk of cars will be road going, taxed and tested.

The MSA and the two scrutineers are fully aware and we have their blessing and best wishes for a successful day.

regards kev

• 2 weeks later...

I was speaking with Steve Hall from TR Enterprises the other day. Steve confirmed that he has been encouraging his customers to attend. Steve and the team will be there on the monday offering encouragement and support to his customers and any other that need it.

Of course, Neil Revington will be ther both as a competitor and as championship sponsor. Neil aims to bring along a few of the team, accompanied by son Marcus, daughter Natalie and family friend Toby all of whom are getting into sprinting and hill climbing.

It's all looking good, apart from your booking window. At the end of the month Triumph World will carry details of this event. Numbers will be limited and I don't want tears or sob stories about not being able to book because all the place have been taken by non TR register members. Book now.