I found with my engine that plugging the bypass caused over cooling, even with increasing sizes of hole through the bung. I took it out completely and the engine now runs at normal temperatures……strange these Tr’s.

11 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Just reviewed this very useful thread, my 4mm drill hole in the cork is really wrong.   Drilling the restrictor to 8-9mm is the way to go as proved by Marco’s investigations.

I now turn up brass plug with a 9 mm hole to fit the large hole type housing.   It simply taps into place.  Most owners now use the waxstat type thermostat.

Marco.   The internal thread in the TR2-4 water pump housing bypass connection is a modification advised in ‘More BS about TR’s. By Bob Schiller.    The idea was to buy a regular plumbing fitting and screw it into the threaded hole to block the tube.    This is aimed at TRs in hot states like Arizona.

Read it here.

.   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2H2NJt34OffMmE1YTU0YzctMTQyOC00MmJmLWFiZGItNTI5ZjI3N2NjZTIy/view?resourcekey=0-lXvz6nHUvMR_xQs2mCWxmA

IMG_2267.jpeg

Hi Peter,

interestng to know, this TR3 water pump housing with threaded bypass I bought from the USA.

But the plug was missing. Perhaps another one finding out the bypass is needed for the engine in some situations.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320