Tyre choice...

I've no doubt this is a topic that has cropped up once or twice before.....but......

Assuming the tyre size is 185/65/15 to fit some snazzy wire wheels can I ask what make and type to go for...

And where to source them as well.

I live on the Hampshire/Dorset borders in sight of the sea so any knowledge of a good tyre fitter would be appreciated...

Thanks as ever...

Or thrice!

Car was designed to take 165, now with modern compounds the cars grip is far superior to what we used to have to put up with when the car was new...So why burden the steering load with wider tyres unless you have arms like Popeye!

Michelin XAS and Dunlop SP Sport were the original equipment...I use modern Michelin ZXZ (on the original 5.5 wire wheels) which offer far more grip than the chassis was designed for as it is.

Jojim,

185/65 are not the ones to go for. If you want to stick to 185s you should go for 185/70s - or 195/65 although I know that Denis thinks these make the car look like a beach buggy.

They are the correct rolling circumferance and I leave it up to you whether you think my car looks like it should be tearing over the dunes!

Cheers

Allan

Hi Jim

I bought a set of Michelin XAS tyres & tubes from Longstones last year, very good service with next day delivery, will also give discount to register members. (Not a cheap tyre though) Transformed the feel of the car and keeps the look in period. As for fitters or other tyres give Chris a ring at Mike Stokes in Moordown.

Hi Jim I bought a set of Michelin XAS tyres & tubes from Longstones last year, very good service with next day delivery, will also give discount to register members. (Not a cheap tyre though) Transformed the feel of the car and keeps the look in period. As for fitters or other tyres give Chris a ring at Mike Stokes in Moordown.

Thanks, I was looking at the XAS's from Vintage Tyres in Beaulieu...it might be the way to go, there is certainly a lot of different options!

195/65/15 look fine and have a rolling radius similar to the original full profile 165s. Lots of choices of makes - I've got Avons and been chuffed with them.

Hi I am on my second set of Avons good value. :P

Cheers

Mike B)

At this price the Vredestein's will have a speedindex R or max T. I wonder what the man at the MOT thinks about it.

On the Continent the MINIMUM index for a TR6 is H. This will probably double the price ;)

Michelin XAS/XVS are all H rated

I looked into the legality of fitting T rated tyres (up to 119mph from memory) to a TR6 originally fitted with H rated tyres. In the UK there is no obligation to fit tyres capable of the car's top speed but in some countries (as stated by Jean R above) you must fit original specification or better. So not an MOT issue or insurance as long as you don't get caught doing more than 119mph. If you do, the type of tyres you are using will be the least of your worries!

Having said all that, I still think 185/70 R15 is the optimum size for 5.5J steel wheels and they are really hard to find. Pirelli were listing P6000s in this size but I think this was a mistake as I now can't find them. My car has period style upgrades to brakes, suspension and engine but looks standard. 185/70 tyres suit the ethos of my particular car and I suspect many others.

I use Camskill at Whitehaven, delivery next day if ordered before 2pm £2.99p per tyre, UK and to any address. Good people to deal with, no connection apart from being a satisfied customer. Got 4 tyres (Toyo, W rated) for my XJ-S TWR delivered for under £500.

Dave

Speaking of Camskill - they used to offer Fulda tyres in 185/70/15 but now only offer track day tyres from Kumho in four different compounds.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m12b0s1154p9745/Kumho_Tyres_Trackday_Track_Day_Kumho_V70A_Ecsta_Kumho_V70_A_-_185_70_R15_89V_%28K90-HARD%29_TL_

The above are the hard compound tyres - if they are road legal they may be an interesting choice, particularly as a lot of us replace tyres due to age rather than wear.