What grease on yonder bearing lies ?

Oh, right, might explain why there's no mention of it ! Well, there was plenty there before, no doubt emanating from the engine rear oil seal ! It's a bronze carrier, of course, sliding on the steel sleeve, and I suppose it only moves when the clutch is actuated.

Glad someone else has a 4A jigsaw, Peejay ! I'm getting towards the end of the rolling chassis on ours, just the gearbox and propshaft to fit and a few final engine ancillaries. Our car came in boxes and I keep finding unexpected bits missing, such as the timing chain cover. Then it's brake & fuel pipes and on with the body.

Thanks,both,

Anthony

Edited by Superaquarama

Anthony,

the bush may be a sintered bronze bush in which case you could imerse the bush in hot oil engine overnight.

This allows the oil to get in between the sintered particles and when running provides a fine oily surface for the G/B shaft to run on.

If it is a solid bush then either nothing or the mearest skim of Copperslip on the inner surface.

Roger

Silly me!!! I've just re-read the initial post and I've answered something else. The bearing carrier is never sintered - oops

I was thinking of the bush on the front of the gearbox input shaft that fits into the flywheel - sorry

Edited by RogerH

A good rub of molybdenum powder on the inside of the sleeve and outside of the snout.

Grease has the habit of collecting dust from the clutch wearing, and possibly clogging the sleeve movement.

Cheers

Peter W

PS The original spec for the cast iron sleeve of a TR6 required an anti friction coating. This was stated on the orig drawing and I rejected more than one batch of these sleeves when BMH had them re run for trade supply and were delivered in plain cast iron finish.