Windscreen Removal

About to remove windscreen and frame prior to painting. Thought I would remove glass first then the frame? Also, what's the best way to remove the glass with the least chance of breaking it?

Alan.

Alan

Only a few months ago I removed my lad's widscreen from his Spitfire (same screen I believe) that had 'old' rubber and was unable to be reused... Once the finisher had been taken off, I used a Stanley knife - blade as flat as possible to the glass - and cut around the rubber. This exposed the edge of the screen and was easily 'pushed' out of position...

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Alan,

if the seal is quite old then wellw orth cutting off as a new one is only about £30ish.

If the glass is old then it is susceptable to cracking more so than a new glass.

Cut it off and be happy you've still got an intact screen.

With the screen off check the lower corners of the frame for corrosion - can be repaired but can also be fun :wacko::wacko:

Roger

Notwithstanding that glass gets brittle with age it might well be that if your screen is an original toughened glass one you'll probably have less risk of it breaking on reassembly than with a new laminated one. The toughened ones will take some flex but laminated ones are very fussy - as I found out.

Closer examination of the seal showed it was somewhat perished and brittle so I cut the windscreen out without any problems. Hope the same will be said when I come to refit it.

Alan.