Scuttle Shake

Relatively new TR6 owner car purchased last year,just passed its first MOT with me with flying colours, car rebuilt 2008 with new shockers installed, poly bushed etc, car is great to drive on main roads but around the country lanes you realy have to avoid potholes and any uneven surface, they make the car rattle and shake IS THIS SCUTTLE SHAKE or do I need to look at the suspension set up, makes my day to day car feel like a Rolls Royce.

regards

john t

Check that your H-frame is not broken and is firmly attached at all fixing points. There is a weak spot at the top fixing points. Mine broke there but I could not see it until I was due to take it out as part of a gearbox removal. The vinyl covering looked OK. The H-Frame helps brace the chassis.

The ride can also depend on what poly bushes are fitted and what type of shock absorbers and how they are set. Also what springs and finally how well the car has been put together after any rebuild.

Stuart.

Sounds like it, unlike a modern its a seperate chassis and its not nearly as stiff and hence the body and chassis flex when they encounter british roads especially in the current climate ofwinter and potholes. Driven on a smooth road , there must be some near you should all be quieter apart from the odd rattle and squeak. Eyeball your suspension just to be sure thres nothing broken or loose, its all quite visible and obvious. I dont have my hood up so most of the noise I hear is the engine and exhaust.....

My car was a nice taught car until I test drove it once without the 'H' centre console frame in position, after an engine & gearbox rebuild to test it!...Whatta Mistakka to Makka!...after refitting the 'H'...It became a classic Scuttle Shaker!

Of course these cars flex...so don't jack it up with the doors open...or get your fingers near any of the gaps between the doors and the Dash when driving...or it'll bite ya!