CORRECT SURREY TOP SCREEN CAPPING

Can someone tell me which is the correct capping that is riveted to the top of the screen with a Surrey Top.

Both the Moss and Rimmer webbs seem to indicate part number 806189 BUT the parts drawings indicate that the pressing has a bulge at each end for a press stud fixing,in fact Moss actually list the fixings.

however what you get is a pressing without the press stud feature in it from both suppliers

which is correct one please?????

also while on the subject the seal for this area has a formed bump at each end does this go down on to the screen or up to the top, blowed if i can see which way it fits,also there are no holes for the two fixing bolts,something else you have to sort for yourself??

regards adrian

The original surrey top capping, which is also the same as the capping for the TR4 soft top, has press studs at each end. It also extends forward of the screen frame to accept the front of the fabric top and its reinforcing strips. If yours doesn't extend forwards and has no studs then it's wrong.

Presumably you're referring to the rubber seal for the front of the hard top. Mine from TRF had the holes punched in it and it was therefore straightforward to align it. I don't recall seeing any posts from others about there being no holes - some in the wrong place but not none at all.

Hi Adrian,

the Moss part# for the surrey top capping is 806189.

This will have two big holes for the roof bolts. It also has eleven(I think) holes for the rivets holding it to the frame.

The rivet holes in the capping will be in the correct place relative to each other but sadly not always in relation to the frame.

When fitting the capping check to see if the rivet holes in the frame and capping align.

Not sure about holes in the rubber, but I would have tought that would be easy to sort.

Roger

thanks guys,will put the original one back on as its correct

why don't supplies check these things

While it's off I'd like to know what the frame looks like under the capping. On a TR5/250/6 there is an indent around the bolt holes designed to accommodate the hardware for the soft top; this has to be filled with something when fitting a Surrey capping piece. Does yours have this, or is it flat along its entire width like a TR4 frame :huh: ? If the former, what did TRIUMPH use to fill it?

Tom

my frame is flat under the capping but indented underneath for the surrey top bolts,suppose you just put a plug in there if not using the holes

regards