Scissor jack recommendations

Getting ready for the possibility of having to change a wheel now that Eric is mobile I turned my attention to the scissor jack. The one I have is a Sealey and it's too long to fit in the spare wheel (it's upside down) under the boot board. I can squeeze the copper hammer and the tool roll around the tyre but the jack has to roll around on the nice red boot carpet. So I need a compact scissor jack or equivalent. Any suggestions?

Lots available from scrappies.

you need to make sure it will go under a TR with a flat, there is not a lot of room, and then probobly get someone to weld a decent load spreading platform to the jack, most modern ones now have channel shaped brackets

, if you are going to Stoneleigh happy to sort you something.

John,

Edited by john

Hi Pete,

small ones can be mechanically difficult to turn when at their lowest position. As you say normal ones are awkward to stow.

After having a flat in 2011 I didn't like the difficuly of jacking the car with a standard jack so went on ebay and bought an electric scissor jack - absolutely wonderful.

They lay low enough to get under a TR with a flat and as you don't have to turn anything yourself can be positioned well under the car.

They are apprx £60 (I;m sure I paid a lot less)

I stow mine on the left side of the boot up against the inner wing - it doesn't take up too much room.

Urmmm is there anywhere in the engine bay to stow it - must have a look.

Roger

I agree with Alec........the wind-up ones are awkward. I have a hydraulic scissor jack, nice low platform and easy to raise, fits in the off-side wing cavity with all the other tools. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

regards

Clive

50 years ago I purchased a hydraulic jack which is very short (like me!) and fits beneath the chassis of a TR. It has a two pistons (one inside the other) and a screw adjuster on top.

One can screw the adjuster so that the jack just fits beneath the chassis, then pump so that first one and then the other piston rises to give a decent lift - and, with the long lever, it's almost effortless.

The base is square, flat and quite large, so that, unlike most scissor jacks, it doesn't sink into the ground.

I don't know whether such jacks (I think they were called bottle jacks) are available nowadays, but well worth trying to locate one.

Mine still works, although the seals have worn and it sinks slowly when I stop pumping, but I get an axle stand into position as quickly as possible! One of my best buys!

Ian Cornish

I bought an electric one similar to the ebay item a number of years ago - not used it much, but it appears to be a decent bit of kit and convenient! The storage box fits nicely at the side of the TR's boot!

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward
  • 4 months later...

Hi Pete,

As you say normal ones are awkward to stow.

I stow mine on the left side of the boot up against the inner wing - it doesn't take up too much room.

Urmmm is there anywhere in the engine bay to stow it - must have a look.

Roger

Roger (all)

Same problem, got mine, together with a BIG hammer and some wooded blocks which can double as chocks or supports, in a black zip bag behind the passenger seat

Perfect fit, almost invisible against the black carpet and with the weight low down within the wheel base. Scissor jack has a wide base will bolt on extenders if required and modified head

Currently looking for a low entry alloy trolley jack to fit in the same space...........

Meanwhile, John's idea about using the Ratchet and extension is something I'm looking at but I was thinking about slotting a deep socket to try and spread the torque effect

Edited by North London Mike