Revotec fan

Hi all.

Back again, fitted my Bosch fuel pump relay last weekend, all went well happy man.

Next on the list is a Revotec fan,in the instructions it doesnt say where to take the supply from.

It recomends connecting it to a switched supply to stop the fan running the battery down, as i have a isolator ,should i connect to the battery or switch and if switched from where ?

Also does the fan extension have to come off or not ?

Thanks again Mark..

Mark

I took the supply (switched) from a spare terminal on the fusebox - the supply is through a relay to the fan.

As for the extension, that does require to be removed and a shoret crank bolt fitted...

Cheers

Ian

I do like the idea of the stainless bottom hose, dont think ill bother with the overide switch.

still not sure on the wiring, the supply did you take that from the battery Ian.

Mark..

I have the supplied Revotec switch in the top hose through a relay to the fuse box with the fan supply from the battery (I think - away at moment so cannot recall exactly!)

Cheers

Ian

I may have dreamed it but I'm sure I read that the Revotec thermostat sensor should go in the bottom hose. That's what I did on my 4A and it's all very well but it's a swine to see what you're doing when you try to adjust the thing.

Mark

I fitted a thermo switch to the bottom hose. You can get a replacement stainless steel pipe fitted with a 22mm boss from the usual sources (got mine from Revington). I also used a seperate fused supply & relay as others have suggested - you could switch the relay off the same circuit as the pump relay.

If you take the supply directly from the battery as opposed to directly/indirectly via the ammeter it won't register the load.

Bill

Edited by badshead

Hi all.

Thanks Bill, when you say off the same feed as the pump do you mean the switched side ie feed to the fan or the switch to the relay.

Also with the Revotec switch i'd have to cut it off or rewire the relay to fit a stainless bottom hose and fixed temp switch, can you see a problem with that.

Would the spare terminal on the fuses be MAN enough for the fan.

Mark..

Hi mark

I have just completed this with a revotec fan. Mine runs off a hot power source with its own fuse so runs on to cool the car after its turned off. I used the relay supplied with the fan by just pulling the connector off the supplied relay. Mine is a 1974 model with a volt meter so i did not have to worry about any ammeter issues. The thermo switch is the lower stainless pipe with a boss fitting.

Attached is a diagram of what I did. Works well. Have already been for an hour drive on a 30 degree day and was stuck in traffic. No issue. Did not bother with a light or overide switch

Hope this is useful

post-9127-0-70087800-1360230309_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-70087800-1360230309_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rorr1971

Thanks Bill, when you say off the same feed as the pump do you mean the switched side ie feed to the fan or the switch to the relay.

Also with the Revotec switch i'd have to cut it off or rewire the relay to fit a stainless bottom hose and fixed temp switch, can you see a problem with that.

Would the spare terminal on the fuses be MAN enough for the fan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what the Revington kit comprises, but it would the same wire from an ignition source that switches the pump relay on&off, NOT the power supply to the pump. Just piggy back of that to switch the fan relay.

What kind of Revotec thermo switch have you got? I think there are fancy electronic ones, some are designed to be spliced into a hose and others that fit into a threaded boss?

The fuse box terminal would be man enough, but the power source has to cope with the high load that fans typically draw on start-up. Do you know how many amps your fan draws?

Sounds like Andy has had a bad experience. However, I've found their stuff to be good, particularly the custom TR fitting brackets, although I think the fancy (expensive) thermo switches are overkill.

Bill

Edited by badshead

Hi Bill

Ive got the themo switch that is in a pipe cut into the top hose, can't find any mention of how many amps the fan pulls, although the relay says 30amp.

Cant beleive the fan would be 30amps.

Got the kit from Moss from recomendations from the forum.

So i could take the switch from the pump supply and the main source from the fuse box ?

Cheers Mark..

Hi Bill

Ive got the themo switch that is in a pipe cut into the top hose, can't find any mention of how many amps the fan pulls, although the relay says 30amp.

Cant beleive the fan would be 30amps.

Got the kit from Moss from recomendations from the forum.

So i could take the switch from the pump supply and the main source from the fuse box ?

Cheers Mark..

----------------------------------------------------

Mark

Fan probably draws 10-12A but they'll be a surge on startup while the fan spins up to full speed. 30A relay & fuse is fine.

Personally I wouldn't add the load to another circuit on the fuse box, much better to create a seperate fused supply.

Bill

Mark

Same as the fuel pump should be fine. Piggy back connections can get a bit messy so best to combine into a single soldered or crimped connection. Don''t forget to fuse the new supply. I quite like these http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/701/category/37 where you can neatly house the relay and fuse together, it also allows space to carry a spare fuse allongside.

If you ever change your mind about an override switch, you can achieve that quite easily using a different type of relay (change over) with minimal extra wiring.

Bill

Thanks Rorr

No problem running the battery down ?

Mark.

No problem so far. It only runs on for about a minute. I have also fitted a higher output bosch alternator to keep up with the fan, bosch fuel pump and electronic ignition. No more glowing red light at idle now.