Hi Guys, new to the forum.

I am looking for a TR4/4a, but seeing a variety of prices out there and not sure of what they are really selling for?.

A recent project TR4 (non runner) for £8995....??

I have a budget of around £12000 for a good running ( mot) car, but is it enough??.

Also does a left hand drive converted car reduce the price?.

Would I be better off importing one from the states?.

Many Thanks for any advice

Ant.

Might be an Idea to join the register and buy a car advertised in the Traction magazine.

there are quite a number of TR Dealers around,

Marko, at Classic Marques,

Craig at TR Bitz,

Carl at TR Trader

Gary atTR GB,

you can find more on the net, The dealers prices are going to be more expensive than a private sale of course, but then they have to stand by the car with Warranty, I do know TR bits warranty

lasts a long time perhaps the others are on a par.

£8995 for a none runner is just silly unless its been renovated and unfinished. Personally I would think £12K would buy a cracking car.

More folk with wider Sales knowledge than me will give you further advice I'm sure, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hi Ant,

as Pete states £12K should get you a nice car. However prices do seem to be going up.

Non-runners go for anything from £3000 upwards. But rebuilding and buying parts is not a quick or cheaper exercise. Very satisfying but expensive.

Whatever you go to see make sure the body work is good. Panels are expensive (a wing = £500-700) a paint job is very expensive - £3K - £7K

The engine and transmission is slightly less of a problem. If you are mechanically minded then it can all be done at home. If you require a garage then dig deep £40 - 80/hour.

Where abouts are you. Join the Register it will be the best £44 you will ever spend and go to your local group meeting. There are nice cars sitting in garages that could be passed on.

Roger

I think you are doing this backwards.

You need to find a car in the right condition.

Then you can either afford it or not.

1. you need to find one with a SOUND CHASSIS

2. you need to find one with a SOUND BULKHEAD

3. good inner wings and floor pans are nice but less expensive and awkward to fix

4. outer wings, sills, doors, trim, seats, paint-job etc dont matter - you can fix these anytime

Cars that dont meet this WILL cost more to fix than they will ever be worth UNLESS you take ages and do it yourself.

So you need to find someone with the expertise to help you vet the car, or do a lot of research.

Al.

Thanks for the good advice from all....I am in Horsham, West Sussex.

I see there is a local group meet in Capel which should be interesting. About to join the club but life's getting in the way (Dads kid taxi service!)

I have noticed the upward trend in prices (even in the classic car magazines) but was checking it wasn't a small bubble in the market that comes crashing down every time I make an investment. I realise you get what you pay for, but as long as there is a continuing upward trend I don't mind taking a risk with a decent car....and I get to enjoy it too!.

Keeping my ear to the ground!!.

Ant

It seems that project cars are a lot cheaper from the states as well as good ones.

Unfortunately I was bitten before when importing a 65 mustang convertible into the UK that was full of body filler over newspaper!.

So a little weary of restored cars from the states, but would probably get a project if I had the time.

It looks like £12k will buy you a reasonable running TR4 with sound chassis and body, but what will be slightly tatty otherwise.

In the process of sourcing one now but appreciate the help as at least I know what to look for.

Ant

Hi,

you guys sure have a lot of cash to spend. I recently bought a mint 1962 TR4 for 2000$,no rust,perfect interior,surrey top and good running order. There are lots of deals to be done out here. Check alberta seller sites and go on local classifieds in Idaho,Montana,Utah. Shipping it might be a bit more but you'll save lots of cash.

If you need some site adresses,just let me know.

I can recommend TR Bitz as we bought our TR4A from them in 2003, having seen advert on the web. We drove 300 miles on their word that it was a good buy.......and it was. Re-imported LHD from the States and that was what we needed for France. Excellent service and support.

Best of luck, keep looking :rolleyes:

regards

Clive

Hi,

you guys sure have a lot of cash to spend. I recently bought a mint 1962 TR4 for 2000$,no rust,perfect interior,surrey top and good running order. There are lots of deals to be done out here. Check alberta seller sites and go on local classifieds in Idaho,Montana,Utah. Shipping it might be a bit more but you'll save lots of cash.

If you need some site adresses,just let me know.

==============================================================================================

Hey classic225, there must be a business for you and me out there!!!

I provide the cash, you source the cars for $2000, I'll fly out for a nice holiday with my spanners, strip off the surrey tops and panels for packaging and return to UK.

Bish, bash, bosh sorted...........loads of money!!!!!!

Sorted :):):)

wooden door cappings...how bling...this car is good for a spot-the-difference contest......

Hi Ant, I would find a good car negotiate the best price and if it is more than your £12000 Budget then within reason beg or borrow the extra.

One thing with a good condition car I would suggest you don't compromise on is panel gaps. Once a car has been painted it is too late to effectivly change poor panel fit. The best way to tackle this is with lead loading when the panels are still bare metal.

Very few cars are coming on the market lately if TR Action is anything to go by and quite a few club cars are sold before ever being advertised usually to existing or potential Register members. So if you join us first you may find something suitable sooner.

I would have thought there would be VAT and import duties to pay to repatriate the car to the mainland ??

Alan

Hi Guys,

I have found a TR4a in Ireland, and shipping it back next week as the weather wasn't too good. Just in budget!.

An older restoration that will require some mechanical and cosmetic work, but armed with a fridge magnet, appears rust free...

Drives ok but starts to rattle and shake from the front above 60mph. The engine will probably need a complete overhaul but runs ok for now, although feels like its not running on all cylinders and a little rough. A few electrical gremlins too with the overdrive and brake lights not working.

When I get the car back I will have to take it to a knowledgable person in my area to have a look...any ideas in West Sussex area?.

I joined the Tr register as a member last week.

Ant