Filling out Form v55/5 - advice appreciated, please!

Help, please, folks!

I've had a quick search of the Forums and got lots of help from previous posts,but I still don't understand what I'm meant to fill in for the Certificate of Conformity sections!

I know there must be a lot of folks who've filled out this form to register ex-USA cars, and I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me to complete the form......

My car is a TR3A, TS30xxx L , built 1958 and shipped direct to the USA.

I have the USA title, customs payment doc , Bill P "birth certificate" etc, so I think I'm good to go with the support docs, I just dont know what to put in those sections of the form (and the info leaflet with it doesn't help much as they seem to have written this for people importing Euroboxes...)

Otherwise, it is simpler just to leave those bits blank until I go to the DVLA office?

Thanks everyone,

John

Hi John

I went through this process last year, I didn't get the form until I got to my local DVLA office ( Sheffield in my case). The chap completed the form for me and left nearly all of it blank. All done in no more then 30 secs. It appears that they only need the basic info. They did however keep the US title doc. Apparently that has to go back to the US. He copied it for me so that i'd got a copy to put with my records.

If I were you I'd fill in what you can and take the doc with you and shout help, I think you will find them most helpfull.

Dave B

Hi John,

Dave's right. I left whole sections incomplete and the very helpful staff at the LVLO filled it in for me.

The v55/5 appears to be one of those generic pointless forms asking loads of questions that nobody actually cares about or does anything with the information....bit like registering anything anywhere!

Your problem my be that I heard all the LVLO's were being closed at the end of 2012, in which case you'll be dealing with Swansea - good luck on that one.

Mike

Just going through this process with my MGTF1500

You will not need,nor will you have a cert of conformity,so dont fill them in.

But,do check the number used on the usa title is the actual chassis number and not the engine number!

As some US states had the habit of doing that instead of the chassis number!

And that the C&E 386 has the actual chassis number and not the eng number!

IF it is the eng number,then it will cause problems if you get a clerk who doesnt know how to cross check and just throws it back at you saying numbers on dating from heritage cert dont match import docs!

Some of the younger/new staff still need educating in the ways of old cars id's,as they are more used to handling new imports.euroboxes and modern cars and 17 digit numbers!

Ive got to go into my local DVLA tomorrow and get this problem sorted out!

It was all going smooth till they wrote back saying they needed a "Alls OK" letter from the customs,as they didnt think the form I gave them was the original 386,then a new clerk took over and the S'#'T hit the fan regarding the engine/chassis ID numbers,which the 1st "senior" clerk understood about.

BTW.

The latest is they are closing local offices by end 2013,early 2014,that from the clerk last week,as all depends on how long it takes them to get all the online services working and the post offices geared up for it!!

XXX my fingers,Mine will be all legal by tomorrow afternoon,but not quite ready to drive on the road yet!!

Edited by PILKIE

Chelmsford DVLA office expects to close by the end of 2013 or early 2014 as well - or at least that was what they said when I last visited in October.

Cheers

Ian

Hi John,

Have you checked if your car was part of the export scheme and was registered for two weeks in the UK before shipment to US. My US car had a uk registration which I was able to retrieve.

Given your car is 1958 but has a TS 30XXXL commission number it seems odd as my car is a 1959 and TS61XXX commission number,

Worth a check with a heretige certificate if you don't already have one.

If it turns out you have then drop me a pm on how to get the number back from dvla.

rgds

Rod

Many thanks everyone for your help - it's put my mind at rest!

Answers to some of the points.....

Pilkie, good thoughts and yes, all my docs show the chassis (commission) number, thankfully!

Our local LVLO seems to be still in business (Borehamwood)

Rod, according to Bill Piggott's "Birth Certificate" for my car, it was built on 8th May 1958 for the USA market , just goes to show how many they were making in 1958/9 as I guess yours is late '59. There's no indication of a UK registration, but I will check.

cheers for now, all,

John

John.

Make sure the Bill Piggott birth certificate is an officially recognised form of dating evidence acceptable by the DVLA!

They either need a letter from the club/form V765 or a BMI Heritage certificate!

Some of the clerks dont know the rules, and dont know that the heritage cert is acceptable proof,and can really get their knickers in a twist!!

I may have to escalate my application to a complaint to the DVLA dept manager if the same official is adamant things are still not in order,!

One problem being he wont talk to me face to face,coz as far as he is concerned 1+1 dont = 2!

Well, it all turned out to be very painless!

Last Wednesday I turned up at our local LVLO with my folder of forms and supporting docs and pics, just to ask them to help me check if I had everything I needed for the application. The very helpful lady said "let me have a look for you" and I passed the stuff over - two minutes later she said "We don't need all these pictures, and I'll need £55", so i gave her the cheque I had ready just in case, and she said "that's fine, bye!" and I wandered off in a daze!

This morning, a brown envelope from DVLA arrived, handwritten so I think "Blast, I must have done something wrong"(or words to that effect!).

But when I open it, it's my Number Plate Authorisation Certificate, tax disc and original support docs returned!

Brilliant!

I missed the "YUM" reg's , so we are now the proud owners of "672 YUP" !

Great service from the DVLA ,

and thanks to Bill P for the "Birth Certificate" (now officially stamped with it's new reg no.)

and to everyone on here for their help & reassurances!

Cheers,

John