Using the rear seat/squab insurance issues

Notwithstanding, issues of safety, or indeed even practicallity (Surrey top), are there any regulations / insurance issues with using the rear seat for say, taking the occasional extra bod down to the pub etc.

20 years ago I had the baby seat strapped to the petrol tank!!! and thought nothing of quite long trips 3 up. But times are very different now.

My car was sold as a two seater, i.e. the rear seat option was not supplied with my car; however, I now have the cushion piece but not the padded back-board fitted. There are no rear belts - but as I understand it, because it is a pre 67 reg, these are not manditory. Can I ask my insurer to alter the cover to 2+2?

Have any members got their cars insured as 2+2's, I mean come on they were sold as 2+2's why not...

I will be faced with the same problem when I fit a surrey top to my 4a later this year I was going to fit lap belts so my grandaughter can use the rear seat but now you have made me think twice and I will have to get in touch with the insurance company to check the legal issues out, although the rear seats were sold as an extra and I believe Moss still sell them.

regards Lee

Purely as a matter of interest with my 1965 TR4A Solid axle:

The "Attestation de Conformite Partielle" given by MG Rover France in 2004 states clearly that the TR4 and TR4A is a 2/3 seater.

The Technician at the "DRIRE" now the "DREAL" was also quite happy to confirm it as a 3 seater for the official documentation for registration in France.

However, under Carrosserie information from MG Rover France the car is described as 2 places principal, plus extra place for occasional use by one adult or two children.

Hope this helps the discussion as my car was also an ex USA car re-imported to the UK before I purchased it and brought it to "La Belle France" the V5 did not show the number of seats.

regards

Clive :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

p.s. As the Insurance company has copies of all the documentation, they are also happy with 2/3 seats.

Edited by cliveinfrance

When I had my 4, towergate were happy about me putting my son on the back seat, I did fit a rear lap belt.

Not an issue now as he's far to tall to fit! Where did those years go?

Cheers Carl

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, and more particularly Carl and Ian,

I'm trying to revive this thread as I am restoring my TR5 and once done, would like to enjoy it with my kids.

Could anyone give me some explanation/pictures on how to best fit rear seat belts (2 or 3 points) to be able to take my boys on a ride?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Renaud

Blimey! I kicked off this thread a couple of years ago...

As far as I understand the regulations, rear seat belts were not mandatory in a car of this period (retrospective law etc.)(front users only 1967), so insurance apart, use the rear at your will. Presuming you can actually persuade Plod that it was originally manufactured as a 2 +2 that is. I was never man enough to try and find out. (Sad old git protecting my clean licence) These days we're so mamby pamby safety conscious it doesn't feel very comfortable un-clipped, and I certainly wouldn't impose it on my nearest and dearest. From memory it was constantly bottoming out 3/4 up!! Anyway you have to have the seats so far forward its no pleasure to drive.

There's not much man sized metal to mount a harness on, I just mounted a baby seat on the tank brackets.

I was pulled over by the police last year when I had my daughter sitting behind me. However, as soon as he saw the padded 'occasional seat' he said it was okay and waived me on. I asked for clarification and he said that the without the 'proper' seat, I would not be allowed to carry passengers in the back.

Glenn