Odometer frozen in time

Hi all,

My Odometer (and trip meter) seem to have packed up! I know it was working because we definitely used it on the last regularity rally we did and definitely made it through the stages! However, perhaps because it is about to pass the magic 100,000 mile mark it has decided enough is enough. The speedo still works, so it's not the cable. I can still reset the trip with the remote cable, so the mechanism works to some extent.

Any bright ideas about what has broken\stuck? If it is going to need reconditioning - is it worth removing the cable and getting some WD40 in there as a last resort, or is that going to screw up the face of the dial somehow?

Regards,

Michael.

Don't squirt WD40 in there it'll b*gger it up. If the speedo is working then it's likely that one of the nylon gears has stripped. This can happen when it's trying to turn all the numbers at the same time, 999999+

Try Speedy Cables for a refurb quote (no connection, satisfied customer).

Hi Pete,

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. As suggested I will give Speedy Cables a try. I can get it recalibrated for the 195's it's been wearing for years at the same time!

Regards,

Michael.

Hi, thanks for the tip - I'll get a quote from jdo too.

As for cleaning it out myself - would love to have a go, but I barely have time to drive it let alone work on it these days, so will have to farm it out! Thanks for the advice though, it all gets filed away for the day when I get some time back, (about 25 years from now - if I'm lucky)!

Regards,

Michael

Edited by CONCRETE24

I had this problem.

There is a tiny plastic pawl that rotates the odometer cylinders. The pawl sits on a peg and is retained by an even tinier piece of spring steel with a keyhole slot that slips into a groove on the peg.

Over time the keyhole had worn and the steel clip fell off.

After a lot of cussing I managed to find a tiny circlip that would hold both the steel clip and plastic pawl in place. That was a couple of years ago - still working today

Be careful to find the steel clip when you open up the speedo, if you drop it on the floor it's a gonner

Bryan

Hi Michael,

I had exactly this problem with the odometer at 80,000 miles. Following advice from the Forum I took the speedo out and removed the mechanism from the housing. I then very gently blew off all the dust and advanced the first tumbler a couple of digits with a matchstick just to get it past that "sticky" line of zeros. Since then it has worked perfectly and the only problem has been that I now have a very bright and clean speedo which is prompting a complete overhall of all the instruments.

This is a very easy job and if you were taking the speedo out anyway to send it off you might as well spend another hour dismantling it and having a go yourself.

Good luck with the fix.

Lee.

Hi lee,

Thanks for the tip and the words of encouragement!

like you say, I'll get it out the dash anyway and then see how I feel about it!

Regards,

Michael.

If you get any lubricant near the drag cup and/or hair spring that'll mess it up good and proper. If you feel comfortable lubricating it you must make sure to localise the lube to the odometer mechanism only.

Hmmm....just had quote back from Speedy Cables - not much change out of £100 after postage. Suddenly feeling more inclined to have a go myself with the tips from the thread!

I guess at worst, a bag of bits will cost the same to post them as a complete unit! :-S

Regards,

Michael.

The other culprit that could cause the odometer to quit working is the nylon or fiber gear that drives the pawl that turns the numbers. The gear can shed a couple of teeth, especially when turning over big numbers. The gears,AFIK, are not being reproduced so the only ones available have to be robbed from other speedos.

Berry

My tip is to use a large light-coloured, preferably fluffy, cloth on the floor to dismantle this on. Old blanket or similar.

Such mechanisms often come to bits, releasing small parts, that are hard to find.

If its already on the floor they dont go so far. They catch in the cloth and are easy to see.

Really dodgy stuff and I put the cloth in the bath, with the PLUG-IN!

The worth of a tiny part is not obvious until you have lost it.

Al.