TR4A Bumpers new or rechrome?

Guest fritzy711

Guest fritzy711

Hi everyone,

I just got the bumpers off of my 66 TR4A and am trying to determine the best option.  I would like to keep the car original but the bumpers are a little banged up. I have 3 questions:

1.Has anyone had experience with a good rechrome shop in getting the bangs and ripples out, and can you comment on the results?

2. Are the new bumpers at Victoria British or other parts places as good of quality as the original?  

3  In general is the car better off with refurbishing the original parts instead of buying replacements?  This is not a concourse car but is in great shape.

Hi

If the originals are in good shape, get them re-chromed. The steel is much better quality and if rechromed properly, will be a much better finish than new. (the quality of finish relates to the polishing of the material and the thickness/ quality of the nickel + copper layers beneath the chrome layer) Bear in mind though, polishing the originals is time consuming and is generally the most expensive part (and if you need to add straightening cost to it as well...)

I've just had a rear bumper rechromed, bumper cost £60, polishing £100, plating £40. So it's still cheaper than a repro, but not much. (it's perfect though!)

hope this helps

Ade

I fitted 2 new repro overriders on my TR3a, they came from one of the BIG GUYs. After 1 winter rust all over, that's what I would call quality   :angry:

As Ade mentioned, as long as the originals are in reasonable condition don't think about repros.

Jean

Ade, you paid too much, I have had 2 4's and a Daimler rechromed by a firm in Coventry, for a lump less.

My 4 rear bumper cost £120 or so (maybe less) for alovely job.

They did all the chrome on a Daimler Dart for £650, nice job too, bit slow, but not as bad as some-mentioning no chrome restorers in Derby for example).

Rob.

Hi Rob,

as you point out, the time platers take can be comical. I know the guy who owns the place, he did some other bits and pieces included in the price, plus, the plating shop is literally 2 mins away. (I did think the polishing was a bit steep though!)

cheers

Ade:p

Guest Andrew Hall

If your happy with the job and the price you paid thats all that matters,there will always be someone out there who will do it quicker, cheaper and better. I paid a company called Swinnards of Tunbridge Wells £500 to do front and rear bumpers and o/riders for my 4a, took ages, finish is immaculate.Am I happy, you bet

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Andy

If your happy with the job and the price you paid thats all that matters,there will always be someone out there who will do it quicker, cheaper and better. I paid a company called Swinnards of Tunbridge Wells £500 to do front and rear bumpers and o/riders for my 4a, took ages, finish is immaculate.Am I happy, you bet

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Andy

I think it might be time for a bit of retraining!

I know the job can be labour intensive, but that must still be a sensible rate of pay, I have some spare workshop space, wonder if you can take nightclasses!

Rob.

I posed the same question on the 3 forum a few months back ... and again the opinion was to re-chrome rather than buy new. Only just today have I taken my bumper plus 4 o/riders to S & T in Yate, near Bristol. I have to say I'm impressed by what I saw & heard. They are putting a heavy coat of copper on (as some parts are fairly thin) plus 2 coats of nickel, the second being hard non-porous, then the chrome. At the end of the day you have to take a chance .. you won't know for 2, 3, 5, 10, 20 or 30 years if it's any good ... and if after 30 years it's still good then if you recommend them they've probably disappeared due to re-development or changed their process anyway!! By the way, the stuff I took was 20 year old Cox & Buckles ... it should have lasted much longer!! If S&T live up to their promise their plating should last 30 years plus(which will do me). I'm paying over £400. I used to work for a platers in Digbeth, Birmingham, in the 70's and believe me, there are so many corners that can be cut to save money. As I said, you need a little faith, trust & take a chance. They also do all the welding, straightening etc on site & are happy to show customers their skills & the state of some stuff they can reclaim ... it's worth a visit. Delivery quoted mid Feb!! Heyho.

Rob,

I imagine the set-up costs, H & S requirements etc would be horrendous ... I guess that's why most have disappeared in the last 10 years. It certainly isn't a business I've ever considered getting back into ... most of the bread & butter stuff (ie. chrome on new cars) has gone & what's left goes overseas hence you're left with high value end only ... a risk if it's in short supply.