'76 windscreen wiper switch

Hi folks,

Im currently re-wiring my late '6 (using a new loom). I'm struggling at the moment to see how to connect this up. Firstly I have a wiring diagram for a late model but it doesnt say which wires go to which contact numbers.

I did try to work this out using my test meter but wasnt sure how the switch operated. Is it one turn to the right for slow operation and another turn to the right for fast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jim

Is it one turn to the right for slow operation and another turn to the right for fast?

Jim

Yes thats right, and push for wash. For wiring see diagram below:

wiper76.jpg

Connections are:

OFF       1 connected to 2

NORMAL  3 connected to 2

FAST      3 connected to 4

Un-numbered terminal are for wash, push to make.

I think thats right!!

==========

Tim

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH :(

I had to order a new wiper switch as the original was shot  however I think there's a problem with the new one too.

When in the off position, two of the terminals are closed (this is for the parking of the motor I think so this is OK). When in the fast position two of the terminals are closed (seems OK to me) but on the slow speed, when I test for continuity ALL of the terminals are able to pass current between each other. This can't be right surely.... Have I been sold a pup?

Regards

Jim

Tim,

In the off position and the fast position one of the terminals is common but the other terminals are different which means that for these two positions I have 2 potentially different circuits operating. This seems correct to me but it all goes pear shaped in the slow position

???

The old switch is useless and the test meter is OK...

Jim,

The OFF and FAST connections don't sound right either, they should not have a common connection! From your previous posts it sounds as if we have the following (I've made up the numbers, they don't refer to the diagram above):

OFF:       1 -> 2

SLOW:     1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4

FAST:      1 -> 3

OFF is switch shaft turned fully anti-clockwise

SLOW one click clockwise

FAST another click clockwise

Is this correct?

=======

Tim

Sorted at last! I found a website which describes the operation of the wiper switch/motor at...

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wiper-motor/

I tried these connections as appropriate (directly) and found everything worked - therefore the switch is a duffer. I then turned my attention to the original switch and found that it is working OK. It was the fact that the terminal numbers are in the wrong positions! So - my wiring is complete - on to the next job(s)!!!

Thank you all for your help!

Regards

Jim