Fuel "cut-off" switch

In the event of an accident in my beloved 5 ("God forbid" blasphemy,blasphemy!!), is there a modern modification/upgrade that can be easily fitted by an amateur <_< , which would automatically stop the fuel pump. I have for some reason, an inertia switch, fixed to the bulkhead, but not wired. I'm not sure if this actually works and will get it tested, but unsure on their reliabilty?

All contributions gratefully received.

Tyler

I have one from Moss I installed some time ago with no problems. In fact have forgotten it is there.

Very easy to wire, between the White wire feeding the fuel pump from the fuse box and the fuse box.

Stan

Edited by smizgals

I installed one of the original type inertia switches shortly after getting the 5... No issues with it so far and is also useful to isolate the pump at any time required...

Cheers

Ian

Tyler, a wise move and one I modded my TR5 with soon after taking ownership. The "Land Rover" part mentioned is actually made by a third party and fitted to many makes of car inc LR & Peugeot. My fitting story in this "fuel pump inertia cut off switch" thread.

I've got a spare switch at home I can post to you if you PM your address but it doesn't have the loom. I went to the scrappy to cut the loom out of the first car I found with one easily accessible (a Peugeot) but the bloke let me have the whole thing for not much money, so ended up with a spare. You could solder the wires to the pins on the switch or use push fit spade connectors instead?

cutoff2.jpg

cutoff.jpg

Edited by TR Mitch

There are two typoes of that switch, with either two or three wires.

The three-wire version lights up a warning light if it triggers. Useful, as it is posisble to set it off without crashing, and you might be scratching your head a bit to get it started again.

I have one, and driving over some rather vicious kerbing did trigger it, but I was blank as to the cause - the warning light had fallen out of the back of the dash! Doh!

John

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't got the plug and loom tails, someone might be able to confirm whether the 3 way Econoseal Plug assembly sold by Autosparks fits (http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1771). It does look very similar to the LandRover / Peugeot plug.

Miles

Edited by MilesA
  • 3 weeks later...

Update

I have now checked and the female part of the 3 way Econoseal Plug assembly referred to does fit the LandRover / Peugeot plug shown above by TR Mitch. Most of the s/h switches do not have this plug attached so you can fit the proper plug for an extra £4-5 which together with a second hand switch is still a lot cheaper than the original.

Miles

I use an original type of switch, mounted out of sight under the dash on the passenger side, against the inner wing near the bonnet pull. You can then easliy immobilise the car by pulling the switch out every time you leave it, and simply pushing it in again when you get back in.