TR6 ballast resistor

Hi, Ive read some of the old posts on the subject , but not sure it answers my problem

Measuring voltage on +ve side of coil , with -ve side of coil straight to earth , measures about 6V on a digital multi meter.

Ballst coil fitted , and ballast wire in loom , which i can see

so far so good

when i connect up and run car, with car running , and measure voltage on plus side of coil, it measures about 12 V ,

accupspark elctronic ignition fitted , should this not read no more than 9V whilst running

any ideas, it does not make sense

6 volts - coil negative side , existing wire removed, and a wire straight to earth

coil positive side , wire from harness connected to coil

digital multi meter to coil positive side and measures 6 Volts with ignition on, car not running)

This is what the Accu spark instructions i got with the car says do to prove if balast resistor wire circuit , thinking about this this is static measurement with coil not pulisng with points/electronic ignition

12 volts - all connected and car running on tick over - connect digital miulti meter red lead to positive of coil and black wire of meter to car earth , this then measures 12V,

my thinking is you cannot get a accurate reading when the car is running as the electronic ignition/points negative side is pulsing as the car is running, thus you are in effect making and breaking the circuit , and thus the 12 V is a red herring and it should be measured static i.e peremenent earth on the negative side of coil

Thats what im convincing myself now, does it sound a reasonable assumption

Dave, just to make sure that your wiring is as it should be, with your arrangement set up to earth the -ve of the coil, what voltage do you see on the +ve of the coil when you're cranking the engine? It should be 12v.

yes just checked it cranking and 12volts is seen, with -ve side of coil to earth

so i think it is correctly wired

what made me look at the circuit in the first place was fitting a thatcham 1 alarm and was looking for a couple of circuits to break with the immobiliser circuits and when i started poking about with the meter , it became obvious that it had a standard 12 volt coil fitted on a ballast system, so i changed the coil to a ballast one today and started to confirm my voltage measurements .

Note only had car 3 months so previos owner must have fitted the wrong coil