Weight of a bare chassis?

Hi,

I need to transport my old, slightly rusty, chassis and I'm looking to do it via roof bars on my car, but first I need to buy some roof bars. Can anyone advise the weight of a bare chassis so I can check the load rating of any potential purchase please?

Initial research into roof bars suggests most have a rating of 75kg and I'm not sure that is enough?

Thanks.

Hi ,not sure of the weight but its a two man lift to move it around,if thats any good.might need more to lift it to roof height !

Conrad.

75kgs is near as damn it the weight of an IRS chassis, 78kgs is the exact figure I think, and a live axle chassis has to be somewhat lighter - as in I can only just heave around an IRS chassis single handed, whereas a sidescreen chassis isn't difficult . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Conrad, Alec,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Based on Alecs reliable "heave it" index, a set of bars at 75kg have been ordered.

My chassis is pretty rusty and so will be even lighter than std, so I'm sure all will be OK.

Thanks and a belated Happy New Year to everyone.

Rod

I moved mine around solo and I'm no strong man by any means. Lifting it onto a roof rack is a different matter though.

====================================================================================

Ditto. I was able to load mine into the back of a truck alone but to pick it up off the floor completely for more than a few seconds takes two people. I wonder if picking it up over your head is not going to need 3 or perhaps 4 people for safety and to avoid hitting the car. I recall the frame is about 11ft end to end and just under 4 ft wide.

IMG_1477.jpg

Hi Rod,

I took my TR2 chassis on a standard Halford roof rack on the top of mt Audi A6 from Northampton to CT in Southampton no problems. It did take two of us to load it.

Regards

Roger