I will be replacing the tyres on my 4a soon as they are in various stages of wear and are of different makes. The car is fitted with wires and the current tyres are 195 x 65.

Suggestions on tyre choice would be welcolme,also I believe they all have innertubes and the one I stripped down had a dubious rim cover protection strip any suggestions to replace this item, are they available or can something else be used?

any suggestions welcome regards Lee

Hi Lee,

I have had 185.70 Vredestein Sprint Classic on for 9 years now and there is little or no wear, grip is brilliant and the tread pattern looks the part. With inner tubes and rim protectors, all easily available.

Cannot recommend them enough.

Regards

Clive :rolleyes:

Edited by cliveinfrance

Clive,

At 9 years old you may want to consider whether you should be replacing those tyres. Little wear or not the interior of the carcass will be markedly degraded and a delamination at speed is ...exciting.

Mick Richards

Another effect of ageing is that the rubber hardens and the car will start to be affected by even such small humps as white lines painted on the road, and grip is reduced.

I replaced all my tyres in 2012, when they were 6 or 7 years old, and the handling has been transformed.

Ian Cornish

Unless you use your cars on tracks, with modified suspensions/drive trains/etc, I don't see why you should use larger tyres than originals, or is it only a matter of look ? :rolleyes:

165x80x15 XZX Michelin for the higher prices and authentic look, then Vredestein, or a less cosmetic choice, Hancook K715 : these are very good for the price paid for, and they match perfectly with the caracteristics of the originals tyres.

I've got those on some of my TRs, and I'm very happy with them.

About the tube protective band in the rim, you can use a strong "american gaffer" (sorry, I don't know how you call this in English), it will do the job.

Hi Lee,

I have had 185.70 Vredestein Sprint Classic on for 9 years now and there is little or no wear, grip is brilliant and the tread pattern looks the part. With inner tubes and rim protectors, all easily available.

Cannot recommend them enough.

Regards

Clive :rolleyes:

LNK also shod with 185.70 Vredestein Sprint Classic's, very happy, run well, grip and yes, they look the part as well B)

Vredestein's are OE stuff for the likes of Audi and whilst retaining the classic looks they have a modern carcass and production methods

Hi Mick and Ian............

Good point........as we are driving to Portugal for three week tour with TRR France in May, it may well be the time to replace the tyres. We do not want any problems en route......... :wacko:

We will replace with another set of Vredsteins :rolleyes:

regards

Clive :D:lol::D

Clive,

At 9 years old you may want to consider whether you should be replacing those tyres. Little wear or not the interior of the carcass will be markedly degraded and a delamination at speed is ...exciting.

Mick Richards

Another effect of ageing is that the rubber hardens and the car will start to be affected by even such small humps as white lines painted on the road, and grip is reduced.

I replaced all my tyres in 2012, when they were 6 or 7 years old, and the handling has been transformed.

Ian Cornish

Hi Mick and Ian............

Good point........as we are driving to Portugal for three week tour with TRR France in May, it may well be the time to replace the tyres. We do not want any problems en route......... :wacko:

We will replace with another set of Vredsteins :rolleyes:

regards

Clive :D:lol::D

Yep, Vreds are a good choice. I have 4 165.80.15 Classic 86H on 4.5 (front) and 5.5 (rear) rims. They look good, don't wear fast and I feel safe even when driving on the wet (not too wet, tho). High speed on dry road is a cinch.

Badfrog