'69 TR6 Project

Hi Guys,

My first posting on the TR6 Forum.

I am considering buying a Californian '69 TR6. Having researched a bit, I beleive it should have a chrome rocker cover and SS trim in the rear wings from B post to boot! It doesn't have these so should this ring alarm bells?

Any other things to look out for?

It has black surround to guages, is this correct?

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme,

The chrome rocker cover is a bit of a misnomer, certainly the early TR6 prepared for display at Motor Shows have the chrome rocker covers however I have a factory image of the underbonnet of CC27025L and it doesn't have one, so I wouldn't worry about the lack of a chrome rocker cover as I don't believe that any customer TR6 left the factory with one, maybe only a few which used leftovers from the TR5/250. The1969 TR6 did have a few unique features and these include black & gold radiator and carburettor hoses, a body coloured windshield frame, a black three spoked steering wheel with 4 circular holes per spoke (the prototypes had 5 holes as shown below), seats with fold down headrests (US only), Rostyle wheel trims if fitted with steel wheels, a short section of painted beading between the rear wing and deck panel and vitrious enamel front TR6 and rear triumph badges.

cheers

Derek

PS these unique parts to the 1969 model nearly all command a premium in particular the Rostyle wheel trims, the black & gold hoses, the steering wheel and the rear vitrious enamel badge.

img241.jpg

img239.jpg

8TR6DealerPackPRphotograph1.jpg

76658CC27025L.jpg

Edited by saffrontr

I have one of the original '69 UK home market spec cars...it has the instruments with black bezels, the Rocker Cover is Silver painted pressed Steel...It was the TR4 that came with a Chrome Rocker Cover.

My car originally had the strippy hoses, (now long since replaced). But mine had the factory optional wire wheels. But I still have the Black 5 hole (prototype) steering wheel as shown in Dereks US spec photos above.

As regards the chrome strip that covers the seam between the rear wings and backdeck, I've seen them on restored cars...but mine didn't have them...and they don't appear in the Derek's images above!

The wing beading strips were painted same as TR5/250 Denis thats why you cant see them on a Black and White picture. ;) .

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Stuart are you sure they are there? Wouldn't paint chip off the Stainless Steel and look tatty? If it was only for the US market? (mine never had them) One would have thought they would have been left in flashy Stainless for them?

Stuart are you sure they are there? Wouldn't paint chip off the Stainless Steel and look tatty? If it was only for the US market? (mine never had them) One would have thought they would have been left in flashy Stainless for them?

Yes it did ;) and they were fitted to all the early cars regardless of market, I dont know when they stopped fitting them but I suspect Derek does.

Stuart.

Yes it did ;) and they were fitted to all the early cars regardless of market, I dont know when they stopped fitting them but I suspect Derek does.

Stuart.

Late 69 cp / cc up to 5000 cm number

Edited by ntc

Thanks Guys,

Much good info for me to consider. The car I am looking at seems to have all the original 69 features shown in Derek's photos except for the radiator hoses and SS wing beading. One other feature which I can't tell from the photos, when was the rear black panel introduced or was it black from day one?

Hmmm, should I buy it? Decisions decisions!! :(:D

Cheers

Graeme

And to cover up the fact that the rear end always used to get blackened by the exhaust ;)

Stuart.

tr6rear.jpg

"head restraints in fold down position"??????? that must have been uncomfortable! :rolleyes:

Ah, - that was Standard Triumph's attempt at providing a picnic table for the driver :rolleyes:

Regards

Peter

I have decided to buy the 1969 TR6 that I was looking at. It seems totally original with a good body and chassis, poor paintwork and the original interior has suffered from the Californian sunshine. The rostyles are in good condition and the original steering wheel has deteriated a bit, but should restore OK.

Once the inland weather improves (late March) I will be trailering it home for restoration to begin.

Thanks for the help.

Graeme

PS, Mike, it will be kept standard, so definately slower than my 4A!!

And to cover up the fact that the rear end always used to get blackened by the exhaust ;)

Stuart.

tr6rear.jpg

Thanks for this pic Stuart...Never seen that shot of what I guess was Standard Triumph's test car...thank goodness they came up with better lights eh!

Denis as you can see by the pressing on the back panel and wing the lights were obviously temporary awaiting the production ones.

Stuart.