BBC 2 Tomorrow night

Guest ntc

Thanks Neil, had noticed on British rally Forum, should be good, recorded the Stirling Moss prog this evening. John

Rescheduling alert .... as I was involved in contributing to this programme, i can tell tou that the McRae programme has just been delayed (and replaced by the Jackie Stewart profile). Reason is that there are contractural problems with other parties involved in the make-up of the programme.

Rescheduled for when ? Don't know just yet, but it should be worth waiting for ....

GRAHAM R

It makes you despair, it is probably all over the perceived misuse of the name of something or other, and who can extract what money for whatever, and who is protecting whatever. Such attitudes destroyed the RAC rally (or Wales Rally GB or whatever it is now called. Twice round a closed carpark in Cardiff, just in case someone sees it for free and they have lost the chance to charge them a fortune to do so.) They should see it as good publicity and welcome it.

The Stirling Moss one was really interesting.

I am sure the Jackie Stewart one will be just as good.

And we have the last one to look forward to.

It makes you despair, it is probably all over the perceived misuse of the name of something or other, and who can extract what money for whatever, and who is protecting whatever. Such attitudes destroyed the RAC rally (or Wales Rally GB or whatever it is now called. Twice round a closed carpark in Cardiff, just in case someone sees it for free and they have lost the chance to charge them a fortune to do so.) They should see it as good publicity and welcome it.

The Stirling Moss one was really interesting.

I am sure the Jackie Stewart one will be just as good.

And we have the last one to look forward to.

Yep sad it is and something that us the paying public maybe someday will find out why?

Jackie Stewart has been 'done' before, as had Moss, but the Patrick Stewart/Moss prog was so good, that I'm looking forward to it.

The smile on Stewart P.'s face as he realised that he could drive the Vanwall!

Mentioned in that prog was Jenk's 'bog-roll' of pace notes for the Miglia Millia that he won with Moss. The device appeared briefly and I presume that Moss owns it now. We saw the briefest glimpse - anyone know it's dimensions and construction? A replica would be an interesting project.

John

Ps I'll watch the Stewart J. prog in iPlayer, as I watched the Royal Instutution lectures, on at the same time. That;s on iPlayer too, and I recommend them to anyone interested in science. Ever thought if magnesium will burn in a CO2 atmosphere? Or what the product would be? J.

• 4 weeks later...
Mentioned in that prog was Jenk's 'bog-roll' of pace notes for the Miglia Millia that he won with Moss. The device appeared briefly and I presume that Moss owns it now. We saw the briefest glimpse - anyone know it's dimensions and construction? A replica would be an interesting project.

There as a limited run made for collectors priced at .....£722 ( how did they get that figure I wonder )

http://www.thesignaturestore.co.uk/#/shop/4566396525/722-Roller-Map-Boxed-Set/3164325

Thanks for finding new slot for the programme.

Looked like the Beeb had a funny turn and chickened out of showing it over the Christmas. There are all kinds of rumours about why, in case of any ill feeling over the helicopter crash presumably.

Jenks' 'bog roll' note holder has been widely copied of course. £722 indeed! Pity Moss' car wasn't no. 5 .....

Desert bike racers have been using them for route books for many years, they even have electric ones which advance or reverse at the touch of a button on the handlebars.

If anyone wants a close modern copy at a more reasonable price try http://shop.touratech.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=route+book+holder

Nigel

Thanks to the several who showed me details of Jenks' roller.

The most interesting is a picture of the original that appears on lineat several sites, eg at: http://www.foodman123.com/moss.htm

Compare with the reproduction, and see that even ignoring the patina on the original, unreporduceable, the reproduction is too perfect. There are minor hand crafting deviations from perfection in the original - see the drillings at each corner of the window, and the wobbly straight line of the screw headed bolts holding it together.

Relying on your superior knowledge, the box was said to be water tight. There must have been some seal between the two halves, and it appears to be made of cast alloy, so that a lip or seal channel could have been cast or machined into the edhe of one half. Was the box a bespoke casting, or adapted from some other product?

I don't want one, I just like making things.

John

Thanks Neil

I have set it up to record!

I used to follow the rallying but don't bother now, is it the cars or my age?

Its not your age its The Age, complex modern cars make rallying outragiously expensive, thats why historic rallying is growing in popularity, the modern cars unless driven like Colin did are more boring to watch than the old uns.

It was great to watch, it brought back all the excitement, he was so good to watch and always so close to a big shunt, just like Colin's hero Ari Vatenen. Who incidently was at Welshpool the other night entertaining us with his old boss and codriver Dave Richards.

I thought the tears in Jimmies' eyes at the end of the program were telling! Burnsie and Colin will never be forgotten!!